Alpine vs Kenwood vs Sony vs Pioneer

Alpine vs Kenwood vs Sony vs Pioneer  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great budget gear.

Im a big fan smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

lol coming from the man with a £500 set of components tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Yes, but once the Lupo works again and I need to take the system out of the Polo I'll replace it with Blaupunkt gear.. perhaps...

No seriously, all of my mates who wanted a small system had been convinced into spending £250 on a head unit, sub and amp from Blaupunkt.

They sound so nice (not loud obviously) for such little money.

£250 on an Alpine budget head unit, sub and amp for the same money would be a completely different story.

Thats my point regarding Alpine.

Of course they make great gear but for a budget system I don't think you get much for your money.

If you have enough need and money to not want a budget system (ie. yes, £500 components lol) then again, you would get more for your money else where.

But its all down to opinion.

Its the same with cars, I bought a Lupo because I liked the dash board.

Others buy a car because they like to drive a VW.

If that makes any sense.

have zero distortion at max volume unlike most other brands Ive heard/used.

When we tested my old Alpine 7893R with a scope it started to clip at 31/35.

This was as always, no boost at any frequency and with the internal amp switched off.

Nice opinions there, I love Bose but they are a different story. Dad's A2 has the Bose and when you turn it up, no distortion, even RIGHT up, no distortion. Great.

Problem is, they are only available to particular models.

in my opinion alpine and pioneer are the best "halfords" type car audio!

however if you go a little deeper id say

becker or nakamichi for headunits

genesis, diamond or audison for subs and amps

you have to pay to get the better stuff though as none of it is cheap! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

@jon: think it was 40 quid fix mate from a radio repairer..

kk cheers, about what i was thinking.

Nice opinions there, I love Bose but they are a different story. Dad's A2 has the Bose and when you turn it up, no distortion, even RIGHT up, no distortion. Great.

Problem is, they are only available to particular models.

I have to say I love Bose too. All I can say is you have to improvise... biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

When we tested my old Alpine 7893R with a scope it started to clip at 31/35.

This was as always, no boost at any frequency and with the internal amp switched off.

I think headunits pre outs clip level will vary, even between the same model - when they clip isnt a sign of quality.

Edited by Steffro

Wait, surely you can get the Bose speakers from somewhere, broken up cars and that.

I know next to nothing bout speakers but surely it's possible to fit them?

maybe so but speakers are only ever as good as the source... just that some do it better

no poin tin top of the line speakers wen ur runnin it from a mutant amp or head unit is there?

Oh yeah, I forgot about all that stuff. LOL.

So like, you could never have a truly good speaker set up with the OEM head-unit, cus your saying you need a good HU to make use of the speakers.

This thread is completetely stupid, not only is it a bit silly because its all a bit in tangible, but you cant just brand a company good or bad, when it comes to ice most companies are good in some areas and poor in others, alpine for instance are good at making headunits, but not alot else, and other companies like sony, are just **** with ice in general but make decent tv's etc.

If you want to know whats good then you need to be more specific about what your buying. Personally i wouldnt buy much from any of the companies you listed, theyre very halfordy, which means theyre over priced for what they are. Although that is a generalisation, alpine and pioneer make a bit of decent stuff.

i've had blaupunkt, jvc, kenwood and now on a sony head unit and the sony unit blows away the other units i have had or listened to in any car. i know its a chav style unit but i wanted something to blend in with the lupo dash (as i live amongst thieving scum.) and sounds decent which this unit fulfilled.

well what are you looking to buy?

lol nothing he hasn't got a car to put it in! Don't know why this was started but you were right, what are we comparing? Not reading this thread again.

Completely stupid waste of time.

rant over.

lol

NOCK

Bose aren't good. In general they're an awful manufacturer of anything to do with audio. Whether its car, home or professional - If its made by Bose it's generally crap.

All in your opinion of course. I find the design, size and sound of my Bose equipment far superior to that of other manufacturers I have experienced. I doubt you have experienced every single Bose audio product so you cannot just brand the whole company as 'crap'.

All in your opinion of course. I find the design, size and sound of my Bose equipment far superior to that of other manufacturers I have experienced. I doubt you have experienced every single Bose audio product so you cannot just brand the whole company as 'crap'.

TBH mate I tend to agree with Jon.

Yes they sound good but, for the cash theres much better out there.

Put it this way.

How many times has a BOSE system won or come close to winning a SQ comp'?

Been wanting to use this since I spotted it.

TBH mate I tend to agree with Jon.

Yes they sound good but, for the cash theres much better out there.

Put it this way.

How many times has a BOSE system won or come close to winning a SQ comp'?

Been wanting to use this since I spotted it.

I agree that most Bose stuff is overpriced, but a Bose system is a complete in car system fitted from new, so are great for people wanting decent sound with no hassle. A custom installation requires skills, time and technical knowledge to complete, so whilst the likes of you and me may be able to do that, most of the car buying public won't. Also, since the Bose system is designed as a whole system it is difficult to change individual components, something audio enthusiasts would be frustrated by, and hence why I think Bose systems are often disregarded, and in my opinion overlooked.

Anyway has a Bose system ever been entered into an SQ comp'? I thought SQ comps were for custom installations, whereas a Bose system is an OEM provided sound system, not a one off installation.

Whats this spoiler thing all about?

Anyway has a Bose system ever been entered into an SQ comp'? I thought SQ comps were for custom installations, whereas a Bose system is an OEM provided sound system, not a one off installation.

I've never seen an entered system with Bose equipment, I did a search on line after asking the question before but couldn't find anything in the results over the past few years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slating the Bose systems found in the high end cars Ive been in.

Crystal clear vocals, warm clean bass.

TBH the next new car I get I will be looking at something similar myself as I'm sick of cold nights wiring and sound proofing.

I think no matter how much you love good audio, you certainly get bored in searching for perfection.

Mind you saying that, I think the next car I buy will be delivered to Source in Sheffield with a few boxes full of products and will leave it with them.

Dunno. But its great lol

The bose Ipod sounddock won a award for being best mac product or something. I have one and it great with most bose products they lack bass thats the main problem. Can't be a set of 802's tho

Audio of the Year

Winner - Bose SoundDock

Highly Commended - M-Audio iControl

Edited by canonman