Thinking of buying a Diesel

cardaft

Right im thinking of changing my 1.0 Arosa for a TDI, but most of the ones i see have high milage or in the 50s for a 03 plate, which isnt too bad i guess.

When did the arosa TDI stop production, the latest one ive seen was a 53 reg is that the end?

I would like to buy a low milage one which is preferably not older than my current Arosa (03 Reg) however it looks like ill have to go older if i want a better choice.

This decision is mainly down to the fact of the commute to uni every day and the 1.0 can feel a bit to highly reved at motorway speeds and also the extra mpg would be a good thing, not to mention the extra power.

What do people with TDis get on average mpg wise? and are there any problems to look out for when looking?

Im only considering this at the moment and havent driven a TDi Arosa before.

An alternative is to buy a cheap early mk2 arosa TDi and keep my 1.0 aswel and use the tdi for the commute, but im not sure about that.

They seem very few and far between on autotrader and there are none on the seat website now.

Chris

Edited by cardaft

I'll be selling my tdi after bringing up to MINT condition in feb if you can hold on for that long.

Mileage isn't as important as you might think as the tdi engine is bulletproof.

As for mpg, i've never done the maths but my brother owns a 1.0 and in comparison to that the tdi drinks considerably less fuel.

Make sure you check the service history, everything possible in the car inc electric controls , windows , tread depth etc. And if your buying a car close to 60k miles then check to see if its had the cambelt change as that costs around 400 quid.

Any futher questions about the tdi then dont hesitate to PM me as i've owned one for several years.

I'll be selling my tdi after bringing up to MINT condition in feb if you can hold on for that long.

Mileage isn't as important as you might think as the tdi engine is bulletproof.

As for mpg, i've never done the maths but my brother owns a 1.0 and in comparison to that the tdi drinks considerably less fuel.

Make sure you check the service history, everything possible in the car inc electric controls , windows , tread depth etc. And if your buying a car close to 60k miles then check to see if its had the cambelt change as that costs around 400 quid.

Any futher questions about the tdi then dont hesitate to PM me as i've owned one for several years.

Thanks for the reply biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> , I am only considering my options at the moment, but i would ideally like to swap to a TDi Lupo/Arosa but may also consider an sdi lupo but im not sure.

Out of interest what spec, milage ect is your car and how much would you want for it? any pics? Also what do you mean bringing up to MINT condition? is it damaged or something? Please PM me smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Im not in any hurry to swap. I start uni in two weeks and i want a diesel for the commute, but ill see how my 1.0 performs for a while first, maybe, and then swap so i could be interested in your car.

Chris

Hi,

I swapped my 03 reg 1.0s arosa for a 52reg 1.4tdi about 8months ago, the tdi I bought had higher mileage (46k tdi v 30k 1.0s) and at the time I did wonder if it was the right thing to do, but the test drive cleared up any worries as it chugged along streets and a roads before a quick motorway blast (uphill) that convinced me I NEEDED the extra torque in my life.

Still makes me smile everytime I plant my foot firmly into the carpet and breeze away the 50+ miles round trip to and from work.

Average MPG is 50+ and can reach around 65-70 on a steady m-way drive. I've used comma d-tox a couple of times and have seen a big drop in soot and an increase in MPG/performance after use.

Hi,

I swapped my 03 reg 1.0s arosa for a 52reg 1.4tdi about 8months ago, the tdi I bought had higher mileage (46k tdi v 30k 1.0s) and at the time I did wonder if it was the right thing to do, but the test drive cleared up any worries as it chugged along streets and a roads before a quick motorway blast (uphill) that convinced me I NEEDED the extra torque in my life.

Still makes me smile everytime I plant my foot firmly into the carpet and breeze away the 50+ miles round trip to and from work.

Average MPG is 50+ and can reach around 65-70 on a steady m-way drive. I've used comma d-tox a couple of times and have seen a big drop in soot and an increase in MPG/performance after use.

You have done what i want to do lol, The only thing that concerns me about going for older with higher miles is the maintenance of an older car.

Ideally i would like an Arosa TDi but im also looking at Lupo TDi because there are very few diesel arosas around.

There's very few of either at the moment. TBH I wouldn't buy an SDI, they're noisy & gutless in comparison, stick to your guns & look around for a while Im sure you'll find a decent TDI. Mileage isn't really an issue on them either as the diesel lumps are virtually bomb proof & should be good for at least 200k (subject to servicing) before anything major may need looking at. Whatever you do make sure the car has been regularly serviced, as this does make a big difference in how the engine will have used/abused/worn etc

Fuel wise- My tank costs around 30 quid to fill on normal diesel (from red).

The book says it holds 34 litres of fuel, or there abouts. On a recent trip I used a whole tank on an all round 450 mile drive, on the motorway, held up in jams (stopping and starting), getting lost in Leicester (for 2 hours) and the surrounding bits.

So, in retrospect the economity is ace. Drive well and it lasts forever.

Go diesel!

Ive been working out my mpg properly over the last few months. Generally its around the 52mpg mark, but ive found that what brand fuel you use does make a big difference. Esso seem's to give me the best results.

Lee.

I get the same MPG too, but even with town driving it only dips to around 45mpg!

Your all making me Jealous lol i want one.

I just wish i had one and didnt have to search for a good one, probably have to go half way round the counrty to get it and then sell mine lol.

I think ill just keep looking for an Arosa TDi, as new and low milage as i can get and see how mine fares with the commute.

Thanks for all the replies, you have made me want one even more now blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I think what would be a good idea is to find one localish at a dealer however old and take a test drive.

Chris

I get the same MPG too, but even with town driving it only dips to around 45mpg!

Where as my 1.0 does around 38 round town and about 45 on a run, i think anyway i dont work it out often, also depends on driving style.

Why not keep checking for arosa, lupo and polo 1.4tdi's. Sometimes you can get a low mileage bargain.

Yeah thats my plan, ive been looking at polols aswel. My uncle has a XReg Polo TDi SE from new, he is thinking of selling it soon so im hoping i can buy it and get a good deal biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Would prefer a lupo or an arosa i think, ill keep looking for the right one smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by cardaft

Theres one for sale on the board at the momento, a Tdi that is. Of the Lupo variety, not a dirty Seat.

EEEEEERE!

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Joke btw, before I get beaten with an Arosa stick

Thanks for that, i have seen it but the milage is quite high, 80k higher than mine. I'll be doing around 15K+ easily per year so by the end of three years it will be onto 160k

I know the engine will most likely bee good for it but still high lol

Chris

Edited by cardaft

Why not keep checking for arosa, lupo and polo 1.4tdi's. Sometimes you can get a low mileage bargain.

What is the lowest milage TDI that peeps have seen for sale? As when i was looking for one, i only found one with less miles than mine with 22K on the clock. Most seem to have just above average miles on them.

But that shouldn't be an issue! As mine wasn't driven enough that the cambelt perished quite early! So might be better off getting one with a good service history and around 60k

What is the lowest milage TDI that peeps have seen for sale? As when i was looking for one, i only found one with less miles than mine with 22K on the clock. Most seem to have just above average miles on them.

But that shouldn't be an issue! As mine wasn't driven enough that the cambelt perished quite early! So might be better off getting one with a good service history and around 60k

There a 53reg arosa for 6K with 17,000 miles on ebay, but its about 370 miles from me wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

BTW when does the cambelt need changing on a Arosa TDi and also my 1.0? and what price should i expect to pay?

Thanks, Chris

Thanks for the help, its another thing to think about when looking.

So its 60,000 miles or 4 years i think, yes?

Are the intervals the same for the 1.0 MPi as the 1.4 TDI?

Edited by cardaft

Thinking of buying a TDi

, Anything to look out for?

Price

seen some listed at really silly prices lately. over £4500 ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

well into GTI teritory.

the Arosa's seem to go for over £1000 less than the lupo equivelent on the TDI.

Edited by Petrified

Price

seen some listed at really silly prices lately. over £4500 ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

well into GTI teritory.

the Arosa's seem to go for over £1000 less than the lupo equivelent on the TDI.

Yeah i want to get the best i can for the money.

Nope, 1.0 is 50 , tdi is 60k.

Oh right thanks

Right cambelt was priced at £400 for me by Seat! And a waterpump is a good idea to change too which is another £25 plus fitting!

I got my cambelt and waterpump fitted for £250 including parts from Storm Developments!

That seems alot, could by £500 easily with the waterpump aswel, i think id stay clear of the retailers from past experience and use a vw independant garage which is local.

Whats funny is the part costs about 70 quid lol

Yeah i know, and the chances are that an independant garage would be a better job than the stealer for much less money.