Installation of Camshafts

tttttada

I got a set of 256/252 Schrick camshafts and we were ready to install them

until we printed out the instructions from ELSAWIN....

It seems we need three VW special tools for the installation.....

T10073 Locking Plate

Locks camshaft sprocket when loosening and tightening adjuster bolt.

t10073.jpg

T10074 Locking Pin

Locks camshaft sprockets

t10074.jpg

T10075 Locating Flange

Locks inlet camshaft

t10075.jpg

Now, we could certainly do away without part no: T10074, as we could use drill bits

or something similar. It seems we definitely need parts T10073 and T10074 though....

The VW dealers here in Japan do not supply special tools, nor do they rent them out.

We could send the car to have them install them, but they are booked for two weeks.

Has anyone installed cams on a GTI without these special parts?

My mechanic has installed multiple cams on various cars and is very proficient,

but he seems puzzled as the AVY engine is very unique.

We would appreciate any pointers. Thank you!!

Im sure someone on here could get you the tools and send them to you if your that desperate.

I came accross this too, in essence there is only really a few ways that the camshafts can go in. so you could estimate it based on how the old cams you took out look before you remove. The difference in the position of the cams isnt goint to be so much that it would make it un-reckonisable, its a gamble though but aslong as you follow the timing procedure as per the book then you cant go really wrong.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

I know Ross had some massive problems fitting the cams to his GTI.

Think he tried a couple of times to get the timing right before giving the car to someone to sort out.

I think the company who fitted the cams to Twistys car also had issues with the lack of markers.

No help to you at all, but I'll try to get Ross to see the thread incase he has some info for you.

No help to you at all, but I'll try to get Ross to see the thread incase he has some info for you.

I appreicate it, Tigz.

I came across this thread and it seems that unora also installed the cams himself.

I did myself without the F*** VW tool so first time I get some errors because G40 and G28 sensors were not syncronized

Do the aftermarket cams not have notches on them like the standard cams?

I swapped my cams over for the ones out of the lupo sport with no problems, didnt need any special tools or anything. A screwdriver to jam this and that with some protective cloth once the head was off that's all!

The original cams and pulleys have notches on so that once removed they only refit one way.

Do the aftermarket cams not have notches on them like the standard cams?

I swapped my cams over for the ones out of the lupo sport with no problems, didnt need any special tools or anything. A screwdriver to jam this and that with some protective cloth once the head was off that's all!

The original cams and pulleys have notches on so that once removed they only refit one way.

The GTI's intake cam incorporates a variable timing, and that is what makes the installation complicated.

well the lupo 1.4 16v sports dont have vvt its only the gti but there was a thread about cams for the gti on which cams to use and if you use the 1.4 sport cams/head on the gti blocks u need to throw away the vvt but if you buy 1.6 gti high lift cams for your gti am shoor you still keep your vvt and am shoor you would be far better with it, am i right?

Edited by rosscarbry

If i remember correctly when Darren (lincolnshireslupogti) had his GTi on the rollers it had a better torque

curve when the VVT kicked in, but peak power improved with it off.

If he notices this thread he'll be able to confirm this. :)

• 7 months later...
If i remember correctly when Darren (lincolnshireslupogti) had his GTi on the rollers it had a better torque

curve when the VVT kicked in, but peak power improved with it off.

It was the other way round I think

When he turned it of he wasnt getting good power at high revs, the VVT is on at low revs, turns off at low mid revs then on again at high revs.

Although I may be making that up.

sorry for bringing this up but when you say 256/252 camshafts, is the inlet 256 and exhaust 252 or other way around, are these fast road cams and what is the spec of the standard cams? cheers ross

These sopund like duration figures... so yes more duration on the inlet.