HOW TO FIT 280MM G60 BRAKES TO YOUR GTI

Loopy Lupo

ok after a lot of advice and help from peeps here is a step by step guide - mind your knuckles!

The tools i used were

18mm socket

15mm spanner

13mm socket

17mm socket

phillips screw driver

and a jack /axel stands

ok, so first arrange your g60 carriers, discs and instructions as so. have a cup of tea at this stage if you need to pluck up the courage - i did!

fitting280mmbrakes001.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

remove your wheel using 17mm wrench to reveal crappy standard brakes. (note yummy kw's) stop day dreaming and get on with it!

fitting280mmbrakes002.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

next undo the top 13mm nut holding the caliper to the carrier - use the 15mm spanner to hold the sliders.

fitting280mmbrakes003.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

remove brake pads.

fitting280mmbrakes004.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

then undo lower 13mm nut in the same way and remove caliper. don't leave it dangling like a donkeys dick in the wind - i perched mine on the driveshaft.

fitting280mmbrakes005.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

then undo the 2 18mm nuts holding the carrier on - be warned mine were incredibly tight - i have the scrapped knuckles to prove it!

fitting280mmbrakes006.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

undo the screw on the front of the disk and remove the disk. dispose of it in your own unique way. too heavy to use as a frisbee though.

fitting280mmbrakes007.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

put lovely new 280mm disc on! (don't forget the screw).

fitting280mmbrakes008.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

then put new carrier on - followed by lower 13mm nut for the caliper. slide the old pads back in (or new ones if you have more money than me).

fitting280mmbrakes009.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

tighten up top 13mm nut and robert's your father's brother. new 280mm brakes! you too can now brake without fear of rear-ending that tractor lurking round the corner.

fitting280mmbrakes010.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

thanks again to altern 8, payna and tshirt for all their help and advice. imho you have to do this just because they look so good!! hope this helps anyone who is interested in doing this mod.

May I be the first to say well done.

What an amazing how to guide and also looks amazing.

Wish I had done this sooner!!  Can you do a favour and list the parts and how much you paid? 

JEALOUS!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks tim. parts were not all that cheap - although if i'd had time i could have got the carriers from a scrappy. had to ruah as ahving all sorts of probs trying to get new rims to fit argghh! anyway had one quote for £113 for used ones from a breaker - in the end i paid £160 from stealer - but an extra £50 for brand spankers ain't bad in my book. discs were about £140 i think - all in all not bad money for a crap hot conversion imho.

oh and those discs are worth money alex!!! dont throw them!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

too late - i chucked them in the canal! only jesting - i'll sell them and the carriers if anyone wants em - done 9k. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

good work! its definatley a worthwile upgrade, much better choice of bits.

...and having 280mm discs on your lupo is cool! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

did then need any trickery to get the wheels to fit?

Edited by payna

no mate - i breathed a huge sigh of relief when the rims went straight on - after what dareen said i thought i was gonna have to abuse my brand new carriers! mind you still got the drive all the way to essex tomoorow morning to get the arches rolled (from mid wales - gotta be there at 11.00a.m) hope the paint don't crack!

its nice and easy when you get going aint it smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah totally mate - did the first side in about 30mins (incl cup of tea!! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ) t'other side took about 10-15 mins. it's all in the mind - you think 'kin-ell this is going to be a massive job'- but in reality it's easy as long as you take your time (and make sure the grooves on the discs are on the correct side!) thanks again mate for the guidance and encouragement. thumbsup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbsup:" border="0" alt="thumbsup.gif" /> mrgreen.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":mrgreen:" border="0" alt="mrgreen.gif" />

so have you gome 280x22mm vented?

great how 2 btw biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks mate. i think they are actually 280x20mm - but i stand corrected if i'm wrong. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Top guide there mate clap.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":clap:" border="0" alt="clap.gif" /> you just know its gonna convince a few people to do it after seeing pics to help them

But has anyone done this conversion on a non GTi and if so any differences/problems

Glad its all sorted buddy, cant wait to see these wheels finally!!!!

But has anyone done this conversion on a non GTi and if so any differences/problems

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ive not done the 280mm discs as they wont fit behind 14" wheels, but Ive fitted GTi wheels.

The only problem you will have is if you are buying a non Sport/TDi/GTi then your wheel hubs have the caliper carriers built into the hub.

Thus not allowing you to do it.

Untill you change your wheel hubs wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Excellent guide Alex, well done mate. Glad they went on ok and even better that you didnt have to faff around grinding the carriers...you could have painted them red though!

If they are G60 discs they will be 280mm x 22mm I believe.

@TDW

@TDW
oh and those discs are worth money alex!!! dont throw them!!
Do you live on scrap discs mate...remember giving you my old fronts after my 280mm conversion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahaha those discs went to Rossco as he needed them sooner, and i wanted some lovely new ones!

I dont want these as I think i am going to do a 280 conversion on mine too!

So lets get this right, you need 2 G60/Passat carriers and a pair of 280 G60/Passat discs? and that is all??

Loopy Lupo do you have the VW part numbers for the G60 Carriers, I just want to cross ref the numbers. Much obliged.

Mark

Good guide. So do they fit the Sport too then? I can't remember if the brakes are the same or not!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have removable carriers on you hubs and its not just the caliper bolting to the hub then it'll work, if not you need different hubs.

Edited by tshirt2k

Loopy Lupo do you have the VW part numbers for the G60 Carriers, I just want to cross ref the numbers. Much obliged.

Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry mate - haven't got a clue - just phoned up stealer and asked for them - took 2 days to arrive which was good!