Lupo TDI 1.4 Sport… Knocking/ Tap at Motorway Speeds when warmed up… :S

db247

To me it sounds like the garage doesn't know what's going on either so they are just willing to throw parts at it, might be worth waiting till the sound gets worse/ more regular. If something blows up at least you know where the issue is ?

• Like 1

sounds like the clutch release bearing..... hold the clutch down and it goes away? lift it and noise comes bk?

I've had this for like, 5k now. . .. . .

To me it sounds like the garage doesn't know what's going on either so they are just willing to throw parts at it, might be worth waiting till the sound gets worse/ more regular. If something blows up at least you know where the issue is

I think you're making sense there mate. Unfortunately it's the uncertainty that's annoying me! I know when we had it on the ramp I narrowed down the source of the noise caused by moving the wheels to the gearbox. But from the video I posted does that make sense? Or is that potentially not what is giving me grief on the motorway when the car has been on the go for 45/50 minutes. It doesn't happen until then at least.

But if i take a break it doesn't seem to help, it'll come eventually. I went on the motorway over the last two days but short journeys, 20 and 35 minutes. Nothing happened, but then nothing happened before until further along

I'm not going to explain how it is the diff (db) but if you catch it then you can fix it.

Common vauxhall thing known as 'diff slap'

j15H4Wtl.jpg

I narrowed the noise found in the video I posted to there, as you all know better than me.. the gear box. So… is that where the diff is (nb i'm a complete amateur so don't laugh) (

)

Time for a new box.

(I could fix that if it was mine)

Although keeping things relevant, I'm changing a box on a mk2 on Monday because it is doing the exact same thing.

• Like 1

Time for a new box.

(I could fix that if it was mine)

Although keeping things relevant, I'm changing a box on a mk2 on Monday because it is doing the exact same thing.

Shame you're all the way up in Durham!

Anybody know a trustworthy place in or near Birmingham? If not, what do you think of Awesome GTI near Manchester, I had some work done there in the past and they were really good.

So for the hordes of interested folk. I went to Central Audi & VW and they found a fuel temp sensor disconnected and replaced that and gave me advisories on a few other things, possibly related inner CV boot insecure. They said the thing in the video seems pretty normal from their experience. Of course without a long run on the motorway to replicate the noise nothing is guaranteed.

But they said the disconnected fuel temp sensor could cause pinking, which could be the source of the noise when I'm on the motorway for a good while.

Hope your engine is okay.

Me too :/

i took it out for a run after that work, nothing major happened but i'm going to get the advisories checked out tomorrow then give it a longer run. Not convinced yet but I want to get the advisories checked out independently before I go on the longer run. Especially after you guys said gearbox and my local mechanic too.