advice on which lupo to get

Joeww

hello, i am looking to upgrade from a 1.0 lupo to something like a 1.4.

i am currently torn between a 1.4 16v sport, or a 1.4 tdi sport!

my reasons for getting each car are, in my mind,:

petrol sport - its faster standard than the diesel, it has the lovely center exhaust, and it wont sound all chuggy and it will rev long and hard and it will be quite good for me to modify.

reasons for getting the tdi- cheaper to insure, tax, more economical? it has a turbo ( could i fit a dump valve to it still??) it can be modified more effectively and cheaply (ive been told)

they both practically look the same, but i am torn between them. any advice as to which one to choose? i have been told to get the diesel as it will save me more money in the long run, but as im 19 i dont really know if i want a diesel, even if it has a turbo!

anither thing, will the extra torque from the diesel make it a quicker car in the real world i.e. quick overtakes?

thank you, completely clueless really about it all. :)

yh thats what ive been told, if i get the tdi it will be remapped, new exhaust, sports cat, sports manifold, was advised to get a high cam shaft thingy? cant remember what it actually is but it involved cam and higher haha same kind of thing would happen to a petrol sport if i got one

Just no to dump valves on diesels. Just no.

Depends on your driving style, if you like driving get the sport, if you like a narrow powerband, a bit of torque and covering everyone in soot, get the diseasel.

well regardless of what car i get, i will get them remapped with new exhaust/cat/manifold etc. but the tdi attracts me because i really want to see if it could have a dump valve on it...a friend has a diesel mondeo st thing, and that has a dump valve which sounds pretty nice! would the tprque of the diesel make it a better car for over takes? what not with high torque and the turbo? or would the petrol's power advantage make it the better choice? i really only would want one over the other if one is quicker, better for nailing it past people.

TDI to be honest mate, or wait to get the GTI, The only real difference between the 1.0 and the 1.4 sport is (yeah a little more power but you'll get bored very quickly, well i did!) the added extras, so central locking etc etc... I found my sport was as thirsty as my GTI aswell!

Either save for a GTI or the TDI is your best option imo :)

You cant tune the sport anyway, its a tuned version of the 1.4s with a better cam and different ECU set up, TDI is the way foward, ive seen a few 1.4 TDI engines running 130 bhp, after a new turbo and supporting mods tho

You cant tune the sport anyway, its a tuned version of the 1.4s with a better cam and different ECU set up, TDI is the way foward, ive seen a few 1.4 TDI engines running 130 bhp, after a new turbo and supporting mods tho

That's seriously impressive!!!

thats the kind of power id be looking to get out of the tdi too! is the extra power of the sport over a 1.0 noticable much?? twice the powr and significantly quicker! or would it not be as forceful on acceleration as im imagining it to be?? tbfair i do drive a 1.0...so anything would be quicker haha

Then to be honest mate there's no point getting either, save your pennies for a GTi if you wanna stay with a lupo . Or do a conversion, the only way you'll see real power tbh. Tuning either engine is expensive and with the petrol sport enigine the only way to get more is mad cams and ITB's (serious money). The diesel is more tuneable but you won't get serious power out of either without big money.

I get what youre saying about the sport as I thought the same! But it gets really boring really quickly + the sport is incredibly thirsty for what it is.

So overall if you're adamant about getting a lupo then the gti would best, failing that, the tdi.

It is to be honest! Especially considering the engine is at least 14 years old in design by now.

It is to be honest! Especially considering the engine is at least 14 years old in design by now.

TDI sport definately. a remap will give the power of the 100bhp sport with extra torque, if you want a centre exhaust that can be fitted to a tdi no problem. and yeah lower tax , lower insurance and much better on fuel are the advantages that make it a no brainer between the two. If you didnt like a diesel engine noise it wouldnt be in consideration I would have thought. Just it may be hard finding a good one. you will probably find a 1.4 16v easier for a cheaper price.

so, to sum it all up, im going to need thousands of pounds to make either one a little bit faster? haha brilliant, think i'll just get the sport, do it up real nice aesthetically, do some very light modifications, such as new induction kit, new exhaust system, slam it, and occasionally blast by my friend in his 1.0...good idea? thanks everyone though for putting their views across, cleared up most of my queries anyway about both!

Joeww, you've totally missed the point. You can get a remap TDI up to about 100bhp where it will give a 1.4 16v a run for it's money. Then with a few extra mods like Matt said you can really push it.

Don't forget, you've also got the better fuel economy from the TDi too.

I agree with skezza, a remap from awesome gti is 250-300 I think (skezza help me out here!) so if you get that on a tdi not only do you have a lovely economical car but you have the added power aswell! In my advice (trust me I've had the 1.0 poverty and then the sport and now a gti) the better option would be the tdi. Plus! Added reassurance that the tdi probably hasn't had it's bollo*ks ragged off as it's not a "boy racer" like the sport is.

So overall,

Tdi is a better option,

will save you money in the long run.

Be more reliable

Keep it's value better as a tdi is wanted more than a sport

Can have the same power as the 1.4sport

HAS BOOST NOISES! (Most important bit IMO! :P )

Cheaper to tune as well!

130 bhp out of a lupo is unrealistic without the gti engine and even then the gti isn't tuneable without the same mega £ price tag.

Hope this helps lol!

• Like 1

Oh and you can get a disesel sounding awesome btw, not just a tractor noise! A mate of mine has a 1.9tdi bora and it's tuned up to 265 bhp (well was, he blew it up last week sadly! :( ) and that thing sounded so so so awesome!!

My final thing to say is this:

Lupo 1.4 sport

Bhp = 98

Torque = 128nm

Tdi

Bhp = 75

Torque 192

Now remember you can get both of those figures up on the tdi with a remap. Mad amounts of torque and good bhp!

Omg. This thread makes me want to shot myself.

Firstly how can you Freind have a dump valve on a diesel? Wtf? Do you understand how dump valves work? Or a diesel engine. There is no throttle body so no plate to close so no excess pressure to dump. Simple. He has something else most probably lame on there. Get a vid up or it never happened.

A tdi remapped or otherwise won't give a sport a good go. No. Yes it's got the same hp and more torque. But the sport has a revvy engine and short gearing. The tdi does not plus it's a small power and and I've had both.

Sports suck. They are slow. They are thirsty. Like 35mpg max. They are unrealiable. The gearbox will break. The engine sucks. Mods are far and few between and the return on the mods suck. Again trust me.

Tdi are better the gearboxes don't blow up. The engine is hardy. Not exciting but super good mpg. Want a quick car don't buy a lupo simple. But if your one of those kids who ruins cars by slamming them buy a tdi so at least you get 60mpg as you drive past looking like a tool.

Lol Dblock you're a funny guy when you want to be.

And btw, of course his friend can have a dump valve on his diesel, just like I can have a dump valve on my SDI :D

http://www.saber-edv.co.uk/ Made in England ftw!!

yep, nailing it past people who are going far too slow or have slower cars haha! like for example my friend in his 1.0! thanks, i started this thread with gaining your respect in mind ;)

his diesel dump valve sounded like a cat meow-ing! hahaha