Wondering

GeoScars

Hey, I was wondering does anyone know what HID kit will fit on a x reg lupo, I dont wanna buy one or have one break or set fire to my car cause its not designed for it Or is a universal one good enough for the job?

Many thanks George

It does look a bit gash, I thought they'd be really bright and I'd be able to see the road like I can in my cooper s, but you can't. They create dark spots on the road. I found just updated bulbs were better!

But that's the sort of price you're going to pay for them

The problem with aftermarket HID's is usually the bulbs are unshielded, so designed for projector lens. As soon as you stick them in a reflector lens, you get a huge amount of light scatter. Like this:

hidglare.jpg

Can you see all that light above the main beam? That's a serious amount of light scatter which is being thrown in all different directions and that is why you'll end up getting flashed by people, even on dipped.

The whole point of a dual filament bulb, is the high filament is designed to nearer to the light shield inside your housing, which means there is a distinct cutoff and therefore the light bleed is minimum. Like this photo:

halogen-headlights.jpg

Can you see there's a distinct cut off on the golf clubs in which there's almost no light scatter above?

If you want to put HID's in a reflector housing, you should buy a proper shield so that you don't result in the top photo, or you should aim to install projector lens. Unfortunately, they both require you to spend money, and most people who want to fit HID's want to do it as cheap as possible... Barry.

To summarize, this is why you shouldn't fit HID's unless you intend on doing it properly (a photo from the side, showing glare, light bleed and scatter):

IMG_0107.jpg

I understand the light bleeding situation and all that but whats the best sort or Hid kit with proper shielding? or the best normal lights i have night breakers and they aren't the best They just seem to go back to the old way before when my lights were dull and hardly able to see things, I dont mind spending the money on a kit and the correct sheilding as long as its safe for other road users. Headlight adjust meant is also to the curb so that will aid less leakage

I understand the light bleeding situation and all that but whats the best sort or Hid kit with proper shielding? or the best normal lights i have night breakers and they aren't the best They just seem to go back to the old way before when my lights were dull and hardly able to see things, I dont mind spending the money on a kit and the correct sheilding as long as its safe for other road users. Headlight adjust meant is also to the curb so that will aid less leakage

The best is a proper retrofit, as in projector lens inside of the headlamp cluster. The projector lens negates the requirement for reflectors at all, so there's no need for any extra shielding etc. You can spray the reflector part black like the joey mod or just leave them as they are. It's something I intend to do eventually and I will probably do a How To but it's a pretty ambitious project and one that could go pretty Pete Tong so we'll see. I've got the spare headlights, now just need to pick up some projectors and a HID kit that's compatible.

If you just want to alter the shield, you'll need to remove the headlight from the car and unscrew the current Halogen shield and fit one like this:

http://www.hidorigin.com/h4-to-d2s-d2r-adaptors-with-glare-shield-gen-3.html

Hope this helps.

Skezza you not tired of being wrong :-p. just buy H4R or in an arosa H7R. R being for a reflector style headlight. If hids where dazzling people I wouldn't put them on my car. Just buy the R version and make sure you have them aimed properly. Will pass MOT like this too.

Skezza you not tired of being wrong :-p. just buy H4R or in an arosa H7R. R being for a reflector style headlight. If hids where dazzling people I wouldn't put them on my car. Just buy the R version and make sure you have them aimed properly. Will pass MOT like this too.

Never heard of a H4R kit, do they exist? I've heard of D2R And D4R and I'm yet to be convinced of their effectiveness. The point of the metallic shield above is to fully prevent light scatter from the reflector. The R style bulbs simply block light from the top but not light reflected from the bottom.

Projector lens is the way forward in my opinion but risky, I'd say one of those metal shields is best for the risk averse. Just my opinion though :)

Edited by Skezza
  • Like 1