Camshaft Position Sensor

Wee Sprocket

Good evening,

The engine management light on the Gti came on today. I have scanned and have 3 error codes.

Two point to the camshaft position sensor or the wiring. Is it the sensor on top of the cam cover towards the timing belt end of the engine? The codes are 17935 and 16374 which could mean a wiring issue or a failed sensor.

The third is 17833 which points to the purge valve on the EVAP cannister- short to earth. Never heard of this component, so where is it?

Any help would be appreciated.

WS

Have a look at the breather pipe that goes from the air filter housing to the oil separator on the back of the block. I had a similar issue when I first got my GTI. There is a small heater unit built into the breather pipe that is supposed to stop it icing in extreme cold weather, but they tend to overheat and blow the fuse, the same fuse that runs the camshaft actuator and the EVAP carbon canister valve. Unplug the heater, check your fuses (I think its a 30amp, not a mini one though) and see how you go. IIRC, a new breather pipe with the valve is around £40 from VW.

http://danstyan.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/VW-Lupo-Camshaft-Sensor.pdf that's a guide I created for the 1.0 but should be roughly in the same place I would have thought

Hey you got some great tutorials on your site ;)

Erm.... did Danoid point you in the direction of the fuse? Pretty sure I mentioned that! Not taking away any credit for Danoid's website (yes there is some great info on there!), but his link shows you how to replace the camshaft position sensor!!!

Sorry if I sound picky, don't mean to be at all!

I'm pretty sure that the breather pipe heater is on this circuit. Its the black pipe that runs into the airbox on the right-hand side (if you're standing looking at the engine), and it runs to the oil seperator on the block. In the middle of this pipe there is a small heater element, disconnect it and replace the fuse. If it doesn't pop, theres your answer!

post-795-0-79136000-1395784332_thumb.jpg

Edited by lupogtiboy

On a gti its fuse no 30, 5amp

Same fuse runs:

Active Charcoal Filter System Solenoid Valve 1

EGR Valve (tho gti doesn't have EGR!!)

Crankcase Breather heater

And I know from personal experience that if this fuse has blown, it will show the camshaft actuator as a fault.

You'll need to find a copy of ELSA for wiring diagrams

Edited by lupogtiboy

Lupogtiboy,

Found the little blighter. Removed it from the rubber breather pipe. It has very low resistance but could see nothing obvious. Put it back leaving it disconnected. Replaced the fuse, no 30 & 5 amp. Cleared the codes, run the enginge. All clear. Just need to do a longer drive to see what happens.

I will report back later in the week.

Any idea where I can get a copy of ELSA?

WS

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked and there are still no codes. Would appear the breather pipe heater is to blame.

Will give TPS a call to see if I need a mortgage to buy a new one. The part number is 036906391A.

I will update the thread when I have some further news.

WS