gearbox oil help

loupeygeorge

can anyone recommend the appropriate grade gear box oil i should put in my 02 sport AUB and the box has done 130k. theres no problems with it but i dont think its been changed in its life and with winter coming up i want to make its life as easy as possible. ive read the how to on changing it and castrol 75/90s was used on a 1.4s but is this the case with the sport or will it need different oil as its ratios are different. any help will be much appreciated

Vw don't put the oil grades on the bottle, just a part number. If you message me your reg, I can find out the VW part number for you

yeah we got the reg and everything but i wanted the grade so i could go and get same oil and not pay stealer prices. i'll send you a message over now pal, from the part number can it then be deciphered what oil it is? or am i going to have to take the plunge anyway. if so im going tps as i believe they're cheaper then dealers or do you HAVE to be a trader to purchase from there?

Your gearbox code is FHX and holds 2.7 litres from empty. The vw part number for the oil is G 060 726 A2 which is £6.56 inc vat for 1ltr, ELSA suggests is a G51SAE 75W-90 synthetic oil, and must only be filled with this type of oil.

• Like 1

You've been very helpful and knowledgeable here. Please, if you have time, could you look at my own post about changing gearbox oil on my Lupo E?

I've recorded it under Lupo 'model specific' section. 18th October 2013.If you could also advise what oil I'll need that would really be a great help too.

Thank you

Colin