Aerial Base Lupo - Part number? - Updated - VW part not original

Has anyone bought a genuine Lupo aerial base recently? How much are they at the dealers?

I have seen a few replacement parts on eBay and second hand ones. But don't really want to buy one that has come from cars older than mine.

Mine looks tired and starting to think its to blame for not getting a signal.

Edited by steve200

I assume this is regarding the topic of conversation in your previous thread :P I don't know how much dealers sell them for but obviously you can get a replacement spec part for about £9 off eBay. Don't be put off by second hand ones. I've had 2 Lupo's, one W reg, and one V reg, both of which got/get perfect signal. In fact, since owning the V reg, I've noticed an improvement yet the car is older. I think if the seller gives his word that a second hand one is working correctly then there's no reason not to use it.

Before we go into that though, have you removed the base and checked the wiring? It might be worth doing so just in case it's become disconnected. I'd say the likelihood is almost nil but it's worth doing a bit of diagnostics before pointing your finger. I'm not convinced that the degradation of an aerial base is enough evidence really. You might end up chasing shadows if you aren't careful.

If you're going to renew the parts, you may as well get yourself a replacement bee sting too:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MODELS-Genuine-Replacement-AM-FM-Aerial-Antenna-Roof-Mast-NEW-/270955002855?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones_Communication_Radio_Antennas&fits=Model%3ALupo&hash=item3f162d3be7

I fitted one of these last year after some scrote snapped my aerial off and they're fine, actually improved the signal on AM somewhat (i rarely listen to FM). Splash of grease on the screw can help fitting as well as they're bone dry when they arrive.

Note the reason you're having problems won't be to do with the bee sting. Mine was snapped and it still worked until I replaced it, I just lost some reception.

Thanks for the reply.

I already have a new genuine short polo aeriel.

The base is also already removed.

Reason I don't want an old one is because they fade and become perished. Mine doesn't look new anymore.

No issues with the connector or cable. Few people have said the bases can be the blame.

I will only buy genuine parts so don't want a replacement copy.

Edited by steve200

From the looks of it, it comes as a complete kit, so the base with aerial which is poo.

http://partscats.com/volkswagen/en/?i=cat_vag_models&brand=vw&number=1865&set=1869&ein=2002&f=231&hauptgr=1234567890&hg=0&grf=005770441&bf=05770&hgug=057&ug=57&parent_id=1205557

thats for a 2002 gti, but you can select the years if you want

Well that didn't work out. Is there a change in parts at some point. I got the base from VW and you wouldn't even know it was genuine. Only the bag with the sticker has the VW logo and part number. The actual base says made in Europe and doesn't fit my car.

Is the base different on the GTI's?

This new one is more round, and the square base of it won't even pass through the roof.

Comparing to my old one that looks genuine because it has the VW logo even in the metal base. I'm thinking VW are getting cheap parts not oem. :( having said that £56.50 is not a cheap price

Edited by steve200

I got the part number from ETKA using the reg number on your picture, and that is what it highlights. Just checked it with mine, and it lists the same. There is a note on ETKa that there used to be a part number for a whole unit, but it has changed to the base, aerial rod and the nut.

Went back to VW today and they say its the only one listed for a 2003 GTI.

But parts might have changed over the years. Explained that it no good to me unless I start to modify the base, which to be honest wouldn't take much. But I'm not happy with the part compared to my old one so want a refund.