Mufflerectomy on Tdi, is it worth doing?

Rickpercy87

It's quite an inexpensive mod, i know. I'm just wondering if it's worth while doing for an increase in power or mpg.

Has anybody done this on the 1.4tdi? I can understand it making a difference on cars with more power, but is it worth doing it on the 1.4?

The tdi benifits from little or no back pressure do the eaiser you make it the more power or eaiser it will be on the turbo. The muffler is kinda down abit though but i thought people removed it partly for back pressure and partly for sound.

I did it on mine, but found it too noisy for my liking, so put a standard back box back on. I just run a decat now.

I tell you what though, with a decat and mufflerectomy it sounded pretty mental in underground car parks and tunnels. It was a very unique sound!

I did it on mine, but found it too noisy for my liking, so put a standard back box back on. I just run a decat now.

I tell you what though, with a decat and mufflerectomy it sounded pretty mental in underground car parks and tunnels. It was a very unique sound!

Did you leave it on long enough to notice any performance differences?

I did find this video in which he just replaces the silencer, it sounds immense lol. It's the same engine as the lupo tdi's

The tdi benifits from little or no back pressure do the eaiser you make it the more power or eaiser it will be on the turbo. The muffler is kinda down abit though but i thought people removed it partly for back pressure and partly for sound.

On this note, does the SDI benefit from no back pressure? I've thought about cutting the baffles out of my backbox but don't want to lose MPG.

I had it on a while. IMO it's the decat that makes the difference as it alters how quickly the turbo spools up.

Also with the mufflerectomy every time you start it you get a puff of black soot out the back. SO if you have the end of the exhaust angled down like a standard lupo exhaust then it leaves black marks all over your drive. That was another reason I took it off.

i always thought that a diesel can pass an mot without a cat but a petrol cant because only the petrol has an emissions test ? i could be wrong mind but someone will know :L

Nonsence, I've owned loads of tdi's all had straight through pipes and passed

Why bother with all the welding bollox,what happens when your front section needs replacing, just get a custom straight through? Lifetime guarantee

Job done