Problem with changing valves / valve stem oil seals

Cam belt went a while ago, got the money to fix it, just not all the knowledge.

Took all the valves out, got new ones, put them all back in, ****ed about with collets for a while, everythings great.

Got a new gasket set and i find these VALVE STEM OIL SEALS, bugger.

So i take a valve out again and figure out where they go, ****ing collets need taking off and on again.

Do i need to change them.

Do i just pull them out to change them? and push the new ones in?

Any help is appreciated.

Are you/did you bed them in with grinding paste ?

That's a very good point, and being as you described fitting the collets as a tedious task, Zulley, i'm guessing you haven't, as personally, i find lapping the vavles to be an even more laborious process!

As said, you buy a 2 part paste and lap the valves into the valve seat by holding the valve in a plunger and twisting it like you're starting a fire.

If you don't, the valve won't fully seal when it's shut and it'll run like sh!t.

If it was me I would do everything, ie valve guides and get the head skimmed as well, some might say it's overkill or it doesn't need doing, but the heads off so why not.

Also are you using a valve spring compressor, or one of those crappy hand push things, the right tools will make all the difference, a dab of grease can aid fitting the Collets too.

I agree with the point lupoluke has made.

I would certainly visually check for guide wear, then get a DTI on the valves if they visually look ok, especially the exhaust valves.

It might be worth doing a compression test when you are done to make sure everything is good.

At least Lupos don't have too many valves to lap. An 8 valve head would seem easy these days.

• 1 month later...

I didnt grind the valves.

Gave the head to a mate and he checked for leaks and there was a lot so he did it all for me again. Yay.

Im getting there, if i didnt have other cars to get to work it would be sorted by now.