Wheel questions 1ltr

Carlowcaddy

Hey guys .... With my 1ltr loop lacking a lot in the power dept running on standard steels I'm wondering if I am going to completely kill it by putting some 15in teledials on it . is it possibly gonna end up meaning ill be putting bushes and cv's into it on the regular ??

The extra unsprung weight of the wheels and tires themselves , more pressure on the likes of the cv joints to turn a larger diameter wheel with extra traction due to the road contact of a wider tire ?? Maybe, that's what I am asking you .

I'm sure it affects the racio of the speed for eg. I had 13s on my 1l I put 15 inch alloys on and found I had less top end or is this just me ?

If you get the correct tyres, the rolling radius won't be affected.

Alloy wheels should weigh less than steel wheels. My 15inch Rotas + tyres are slightly lighter than my 13inch steel wheels + tyres.

You might be putting more stress on some parts with the increased grip but, you're not going to be killing drive train bits very often.

No, you buy low profile tyres to match the rolling radius of the ones you are taking off.

Standard sizes for Lupos are

155\70\13
185\55\14
205\45\15

195\45\15 are the ost common tyres fro 15" rims on a Lupo and will keep the speedo near to correct.

Look at the link I posted.

No, you buy low profile tyres to match the rolling radius of the ones you are taking off.

Standard sizes for Lupos are

155\70\13

185\55\14

205\45\15

195\45\15 are the ost common tyres fro 15" rims on a Lupo and will keep the speedo near to correct.

Look at the link I posted.

But when you compare those standard tyre sizes on the link you posted, it says there is a difference in rolling radius, so wouldnt speedo calibration be required? Edited by harreeeee

On the standard "out of the factory car", the speedo will be calibrated to suit the size of wheel and tyre fitted to the standard car.

It's not enough to worry about; so long as you don't go stupid. For breaking efficiency you should not really go over a certain % if putting larger sidewalled tyres on.

You buy a new tyre with 8mm of chunky tread. When it past it's best and ready for the bin (@1.5mm) it will have lost about 6.5mm of that tread. That will reduce the diameter of the tyre by a whopping 13mm. Tell me that's not going to effect your speedo.

My GTI will generally come into my drive without touching. When the tyres are old and ready for replacement, the exhaust catches. Go figure.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but as its related, I'm swapping some 13 inch wheels with tyres 175/65 for 15 inch wheels with 195/50 tyres on. Will these be ok? on the rolling radius they appear similar to what's on now. I don't really want to go replacing the tyres yet as they have plenty of tread.

Bear in mind that due to the nature of suspension components, even when brand new out of the factory your speedo will over read by as much as ten percent.

Its not an exact science, there will be some change in performance whwn changing wheels, but it will be barely noticable.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but as its related, I'm swapping some 13 inch wheels with tyres 175/65 for 15 inch wheels with 195/50 tyres on. Will these be ok? on the rolling radius they appear similar to what's on now. I don't really want to go replacing the tyres yet as they have plenty of tread.

If you are going upto 15, then 195\45 is a better tyre option. The 50 profile is fine on a standard - standardish car, but will rub when you start to lower. It will obviously depend on the ET of the wheels too.