New iPhone and iPad App I've developed "Stanced"

Smithson

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Right so I've built an iPhone/iPad app which went live last week, its an app basically just full of pictures of modified cars. Be great if you could check it out if you have a compatible device? :)

Its free btw,

or search for "Stanced" in the app store :)

sneak peak:

stancedWebsite.png

Follow us on Twitter: @StancedApp

Update - Some may of noticed some issues in the app, this shall be included in the 1.0.1 release waiting for approval from Apple!

Improvements:

-Users can now set their own profile picture

-Can now rate our app within the app

-Prompt to update the app in the future

-Allows any notifications to now be displayed

-Couple layout issues

-Replaced fullscreen image preview component

-Can now delete posts (long press on your post)

-Can now delete comments (swipe your comment)

Fixed:

-Flexible height on comments

-Submission of comments now updates the view correctly

-Upon login via twitter, usernames are now set correctly, instead of me doing it manually! ha

-Upon login via twitter, twitter image is used

-Default image for profile pictures are now showing

-Resizing of images, wasn't creating correctly

-Critical crash for iOS 5 users when opening comments

-Critical crash upon signin if errors

Love to hear peoples feedback to help improve the app further! :)

Thanks

Alex

Edited by Smithson

Downloaded, looks like a well put together app that I'll probably use a fair bit as I do like to Flick through car photos.

A little feedback though is that it would be nice if when on full screen you could swipe onto the next photo instead of having to go back and onto the next one (unless I'm doing it wrong)

Downloaded, looks like a well put together app that I'll probably use a fair bit as I do like to Flick through car photos.

A little feedback though is that it would be nice if when on full screen you could swipe onto the next photo instead of having to go back and onto the next one (unless I'm doing it wrong)

if you check the first post, in the improvements for 1.0.1 it says:

Improvements:
-Replaced fullscreen image preview component

Which allows swiping through photos :) just got to wait for apple to process the update!

Intagram for one thing ?

Kind of, but no filtering etc. If you've been on edition38 or vwvortex you may of seen their "Stanced etc" thread with loads and loads of pictures of cars in, I wanted to take that idea and put it into an app, as if you want just pics of cars, instagram doesnt offer that for you

Thanks

Alex

But if people can upload them then how do you know they are uploading "stanced" car pics, the definition is vague and opinionated at the best of times.

No use to me. I have Android......

Damn, I'm planning on hopefully managing to learn Java so I can build an android version, but expect that near the end of the year or something, sorry

But if people can upload them then how do you know they are uploading "stanced" car pics, the definition is vague and opinionated at the best of times.

Well, any modified cars etc would do really, I only took stanced as a name from the thread from Edition38, and on there theres pics of just normal supercars etc, so not really bothered. just as long as theres no stupid images. I moderate the app so if there is something i dont approve of then i'll delete it.

Thanks

Alex

If there is a mixed bag of cars posted up and i only want fords then id have to search for them on your ap, probably the same as i would have to on instagram.

I do like what you are trying but there is already a product out there, you need a niche or an angle to help this take off.

Something that the other photo uploading and commenting aps/sites dont offer

If there is a mixed bag of cars posted up and i only want fords then id have to search for them on your ap, probably the same as i would have to on instagram.

I do like what you are trying but there is already a product out there, you need a niche or an angle to help this take off.

Something that the other photo uploading and commenting aps/sites dont offer

I have.. it only has cars, unlike instagram... already had over 500downloads in the past 5days and constantly folk are uploading new content and a lot of people are praising me and really like it.

Alex

just downloading at as i type. Looks ok, but i get what scotty is saying. Its basically another version of instagram (which isnt a problem i might add...). It could work really well and i hope it does for you. But currently its just another photo sharing App.

Sorry to run away here a bit but recently there have been changes to instagram where your details can be shared. Since this iv been getting text messages saying im entitled to compensation. And i was also signed up to something for £4.99 a week unless i replied saying STOP!

what the hell is that all about?!

linking this back to your app... if you can sell it well enough to the market and ensure this kind of nonsense doesnt happen. It could replace instagram for the "scene". If this nonsense with messages keeps happening with instagram i will be deleting it.

just downloading at as i type. Looks ok, but i get what scotty is saying. Its basically another version of instagram (which isnt a problem i might add...). It could work really well and i hope it does for you. But currently its just another photo sharing App.

Sorry to run away here a bit but recently there have been changes to instagram where your details can be shared. Since this iv been getting text messages saying im entitled to compensation. And i was also signed up to something for £4.99 a week unless i replied saying STOP!

what the hell is that all about?!

linking this back to your app... if you can sell it well enough to the market and ensure this kind of nonsense doesnt happen. It could replace instagram for the "scene". If this nonsense with messages keeps happening with instagram i will be deleting it.

Yeah, I've had over 600downloads in the past week its been live and its constantly going up. Yes its another photo sharing app, but i didnt find any purposely built for this kind of content.

I'd never sell peoples details or share with anyone/anything. Only thing i'd ever do to make money is put in advertising or charge for the app so no worries for you on that front.

Thanks

Alex

yeah nice one mate. one bit of feedback..

It seems a bit confusing. What i mean is, there is no obvious way of moving around the app to different places. Perhaps you could add a menu across the bottom of the page.

perhaps have sections, have a VW section, Jap section... does that make sense? just seems to be all in one place at the moment and if you do get lots of people on it, it could be easy to lose track of everything.

Iv only had a brief look on it so far so this could already be in place. but i need to work out for myself what takes me where. For example. Sliding to one side to open my profile. Nothing told me how to do that.

basically, try and make it a bit more user friendly (idiot proof)

yeah nice one mate. one bit of feedback..

It seems a bit confusing. What i mean is, there is no obvious way of moving around the app to different places. Perhaps you could add a menu across the bottom of the page.

perhaps have sections, have a VW section, Jap section... does that make sense? just seems to be all in one place at the moment and if you do get lots of people on it, it could be easy to lose track of everything.

Iv only had a brief look on it so far so this could already be in place. but i need to work out for myself what takes me where. For example. Sliding to one side to open my profile. Nothing told me how to do that.

basically, try and make it a bit more user friendly (idiot proof)

Thank you, had similar feedback so it shall be put in place in the near future :) Ended up being a little rush at the end to get it out! Design will be revisited, and also a search feature is also set to come in the near future too :)

Thanks

Alex

Very similar concept to a website I've been on for a few months now:

http://carrtel.com/

Except on there website they have 'builders' and 'photographers' and is invite only so your building your project car you add photos of it with details about what your doing etc like a very visual build thread. The 'photographers' side which I'm on is for building sets and stuff. So you can do a shoot of a car and make a set with loads of photos from that car with all the info about it.

It feels like the app is a little redundant as scotty said it's basically the same as typing #stance into instagrams search feature as anyone could join your app and upload pictures they've found on google. It needs features to stand out IMO maybe like a 'featured car' every week/month or something. Think outside the box.

Props for building it though I know it's not easy :) I think I'm biased as I EFFING hate the terms around car forums as there thrown around too much eg SLAMMED STANCED TUCKED

Very similar concept to a website I've been on for a few months now:

http://carrtel.com/

Except on there website they have 'builders' and 'photographers' and is invite only so your building your project car you add photos of it with details about what your doing etc like a very visual build thread. The 'photographers' side which I'm on is for building sets and stuff. So you can do a shoot of a car and make a set with loads of photos from that car with all the info about it.

It feels like the app is a little redundant as scotty said it's basically the same as typing #stance into instagrams search feature as anyone could join your app and upload pictures they've found on google. It needs features to stand out IMO maybe like a 'featured car' every week/month or something. Think outside the box.

Props for building it though I know it's not easy :) I think I'm biased as I EFFING hate the terms around car forums as there thrown around too much eg SLAMMED STANCED TUCKED

Thanks for your comments, shall take them on board. Was solely built by me and only released last week so obviously there is loads of room for improvement and its great getting the feedback. If i didnt get the feedback it wouldn't change. Its just a side project in my spare time, I love spending time going through thread on forums on my laptop so wanted to make an app which was simple and no hassle really.

And I know what you mean bout terms etc, I cant talk about modified stuff lol, I have a standard BMW E81 M Sport

Thanks

Alex

Im really struggling to see a niche or a twist you could put on it for it to stand out, instagram done it with the editing options, pintrest done it by making a pin board wall.

Why not do something along the lines of each person uploads a home screen picture and then attaches a link to different parts of the pic, for example if you clicked on the wheels it brought back all of the users tagged wheels pictures, the engine all of the engine or performance pictures , the interrior the ......... you get the picture.

Im not totally sure what can be done on ap platforms and software so i might be talking complete poo and it would never work but im just putting ideas out there for it to be different.

Im really struggling to see a niche or a twist you could put on it for it to stand out, instagram done it with the editing options, pintrest done it by making a pin board wall.

Why not do something along the lines of each person uploads a home screen picture and then attaches a link to different parts of the pic, for example if you clicked on the wheels it brought back all of the users tagged wheels pictures, the engine all of the engine or performance pictures , the interrior the ......... you get the picture.

Im not totally sure what can be done on ap platforms and software so i might be talking complete poo and it would never work but im just putting ideas out there for it to be different.

Well must be doing something right so far.. over 500users now, and going up by the hour and users are staying, and using it :)

I agree lots of improvements are needed, its only in its infancy stage atm.. so who knows where it'll be in a few months, all ideas are took on board and put into a list to investigate. Also my designer is now on board too which means it'll improve a lot in other ways too :)

^^some good ideas there man :thumbsup:

Thank you :)

Alex

• 1 year later...