Thoughts - Rattle or Pro Spray Paint

jadelauren

taking your time with rattle cans can produce a good job. An old friend of mine used to paint trains and he did a front wing on a 205 i had. The finish was better than the rest of the car!

dont do it matte with a rattle can. It will look pants.

using a car daily, and trying to use it for shows is a difficult task. I know, iv been there. realistically a show car needs to be garage kept and hardly used.

think about selling the car too... is someone going to want to pay much for a rattle canned car in comparison to a mint paint job?

• Like 1

When I was at college, there was tutor who apparently painted his car with gloss paint and a roller then sanded and wet sanded the whole thing by hand,

but it was a Marina and he was a jerk !

• Like 1

taking your time with rattle cans can produce a good job. An old friend of mine used to paint trains and he did a front wing on a 205 i had. The finish was better than the rest of the car!

dont do it matte with a rattle can. It will look pants.

using a car daily, and trying to use it for shows is a difficult task. I know, iv been there. realistically a show car needs to be garage kept and hardly used.

think about selling the car too... is someone going to want to pay much for a rattle canned car in comparison to a mint paint job?

My partner professionally did his old car himself so I would get him to help for it I think :) I'll top the rattle with some lacquer or gloss and it will look nicer.

I'm planning on keeping the car about 5 years - until I settle down with my partner properly or get more money in the back pocket to throw at a car so by that time it would have deteriorated in value anyway.

Just going to stick to my guns I think and embrace the rage. Its going to get canned and I guess I'll just have to prove everyone wrong who thinks it will look a state :)

thank you :)

but if your partner did a "professional" job hes a sprayer right? so just let him paint it properly...?

No he just has a dab hand at things like that, not professional his friend was who was helping at the time but he no longer has his painting garage that they used. My partner car was good but cost a hell of a lot to do (£600 for paint and materials then the use of the oven cost on top) - It won best paint at Yorkshire Modified and French car show 2 years on the run.

Wouldn't be cost effective to paint it properly anyway as I said above, my front bumper is ruined due to it being my daily. Wouldn't even cost half as much by rattling and then gloss/lacquer :)

If you don't have the proper facilities to paint you will end up with all sorts stuck in the paint. Seriously, you won't better what you have now with rattle cans it will look ****. There is a reason a respray is expensive.

Can I refer you to my earlier post ^^^

That was done using aerosols in my garage with no special equipment. Obviously the relevant prep was done to ensure it didn't get covered in dust & sh*t but it is possible to achieve excellent results if you are careful.

• Like 1

Can I refer you to my earlier post ^^^

That was done using aerosols in my garage with no special equipment. Obviously the relevant prep was done to ensure it didn't get covered in dust & sh*t but it is possible to achieve excellent results if you are careful.

That does look good but it is the engine bay, not on show 24/7 and no big expanse of metal like a roof or bonnet.

To achieve a consistent finish on big panels, surely only a pro job would do ?

Thumbnail pics would look good wouldn't they !

C'mon you gotta do better than that to convince people :yes:

Sorry, I'm at work and my phone aint that cracking with this crap. Hang about and ill make it huge so you can see the detail of the paint...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/mint21.png/'>mint21.png

This has been rattled then lacquered what I'm looking at doing. Not bothered about rage and not trying to convince anyone or change peoples thoughts. Simply sharing.

Edited by jadelauren

That does look good but it is the engine bay, not on show 24/7 and no big expanse of metal like a roof or bonnet.

To achieve a consistent finish on big panels, surely only a pro job would do ?

No, I will be doing both front wings too so good is the finish. The pictures don't do it justice really, it is an excellent finish. There were a couple of places that needed to be wet & dried then polished to get rid of minor imperfections but other than that it was quite simple. You do need to make sure it is all prepped properly and thoroughly degreased, then use tack rags to remove dust. Then take your time and apply several thin coats and hey presto!

• Like 1

It's obvious you've made your own mind up by the way you only listen to what you want to hear.. So please, be my guest and better your expensive paint with halfords spray paint on your driveway.

Regardless who this was aimed at;

This was not a forum for people to change my view or mind on what I will or will not do to my car. I go by the saying, if I have to ask someone what I should do to the car then I shouldn't do it. It's was just a debate as stated. I wouldn't ever take someone's opinions as then it wouldn't be my car and my design.

I'm not using 'Halfords' paint by the way, and if you would of read what was said i am lacquering it. maybe take more care into reading what is put as my car also has holes and dents all over from the previous owner and a crease in the rear pass quarter. Nice to know your like 90% of the people on here an being an arse for some unknown reason.

My car is not made to please anyone but myself and that's the way it should be.

Edited by jadelauren

I saw what you wrote. As I said in my second conment, get the damage fixed by a professional and get the car looking up to a decent standard and it'll look so much better than doing it yourself. I'm not trying to be an arse, you said you wanted a debate on what's better but you clearly only want to hear people siding with you and completely disregard any other argument.

I don't care what you do to your car, all I'm saying is your car will still be covered in "dents and holes" it'll just have a crap paint job to add to its problems.

I saw what you wrote. As I said in my second conment, get the damage fixed by a professional and get the car looking up to a decent standard and it'll look so much better than doing it yourself. I'm not trying to be an arse, you said you wanted a debate on what's better but you clearly only want to hear people siding with you and completely disregard any other argument.

I don't care what you do to your car, all I'm saying is your car will still be covered in "dents and holes" it'll just have a crap paint job to add to its problems.

That's understandable but no £600+ paint job will last on my car, and I don't have that money to fritter it's why I got a sdi. I'm not willing to spend lots of money on paint when she will be scraped to hell a week later. It would break my heart.

I don't understand why there is so much hate for a car being painted then lacquered non professionally, people just rage at the word rattle its un real.

I'm not looking for anyone to side with me. It's why I asked how I can preserve the paint if I chuck £1,000 at her for the paint but no one had an answer. Bonnet bras scratch over time, plasti dip is ok but dull on colour and not the same. I'm used to rage due to my other car being rattled cream. Just breaking the norm, keeping the cost of my car isn't a priority as it will go to family after its been with me as she's such a good runner.

Apologies if I was brash, just so many people on here who rage and are hurtful that I've come accross recently.

What's the £600 for? If that's the price for a respray I'd bite there hand off! If that's the price for just the spray, with you prepping and stripping I'd go for that also.

Rattle cans can be done...but its a lot of hard work and takes a bit of confidence, how much would it cost to rattle anyway?

Either way get some pics up and let us see after

Good luck

• Like 1

Its your car at the end of the day and if you want to rattle it you can and good luck to you, you've had experience of it before with your other car so you know what you're doing.

You asked for opinions in your opening post on rattle Vs pro so I'm afraid you're gonna get a mixed bag of responses from here, mainly on the side of pro though, which will cause some people to be quite vehement in their opinions i'm afraid.

As long as you're happy with it and can live with, who cares ! :)

• Like 1