Window regulator nightmares ...

Goz

So I bought a very cheap 1.4 VW Lupo Auto a couple of weeks back. I knew the windows didn't work but thought for the price (£180 with 7 months of road tax) that I'd just give a crack fixing it myself.

So i followed this AWESOME guide:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89966

(Thank Danoid!)

Finally I got the whole mechanism out (took me 3 hours! :D). Greased the living crap out of it and plugged it all in to test it. The mechanism was now working!! :D

Alas immediately on finding this out, the runner that connects to the window clamp ... broke ...

Arse.

Anyone know how easy it is to just replace the runner and where i can get one quickly (I'm in Oxford)? Cos I currently have a window held up by gaffer and a load of tarp jammed into the door frame to try and handle the case where the gaffer fails ...

Everywhere in Oxford can't do me a new regulator (nowhere can just do me the, frankly crappy, plastic runner) till monday so I may just have to keep my fingers crossed that the window stays there and sort it all out on monday ...

I bought the grey clips

Off eBay only 8 quid and fixed my crappy windows that always fell off the runners

Yeah been considering that ... but I'll end up spending several days with a window that can't be fixed in place ... which concerns me ... especially given the weather ;)

Are vw open on a sunday? Or tps?

VW weren't even open for parts on a saturday, alas ... And TPS aren't either ... alas.

Cheers for the thoguht though .. didn't know of TPS and they're 5 mins drive from home :)

Edited by Goz

I don't have a regulator in my door, same problem as you the little plastic clip has snapped and I've lost the runner, the window is held up by a couple of gaffer tape wedges I made and jammed in between the door and window, the windows never fell down (been like this since august) but it does slowly slip and it makes a horrible whistling noise when I go over 40.

I priced a new regulator up from lupoboz for £70 but then ordered a secondhand one from ebay ended up getting ripped off, had to wait over a month to get my money back, I've not bothered looking for another one since.

• Like 1

i used to keep two pieces of wood , cut precisely to fit in under the window to keep my window up, much more reliable than gaffer tape, since then (touch my two pieces of wood ) i dont seem to have had any window problems. but i still keep them just in case.

• Like 1

by the way what kind of regulators do you want? i have some manual ones that could go to new homes for a swap or the price of the postage. the plastic bits that break are the same in a few vw cars such as polo mk4 golf etc. there may be a few around in scrapyards. they literally just snap in and out. if you are careful you probably wont even have to pay for them, he he

by the way what kind of regulators do you want? i have some manual ones that could go to new homes for a swap or the price of the postage. the plastic bits that break are the same in a few vw cars such as polo mk4 golf etc. there may be a few around in scrapyards. they literally just snap in and out. if you are careful you probably wont even have to pay for them, he he

Cheers I have automatic regulators. I could swap the runners but all in I"ll be able to get a full replacement before you're able to send it. Much appreciated though :-)

Well I managed to pick up a clip from a VW golf down the local breakers yard ...

Only bugger is I can't get the old wire out from inside the clip. Gonna try freezing it and hope it shrinks a bit ... any other ideas would be appreciated :)

A total of 8 hours of work and much ballache later ... And I now have a working driver side window!! It'll probably all lock up again by tomorrow morning but what the hey ... I might even attempt the passenger side window next ;)

wahey! makes me wonder sometimes how we managed the man on the moon! good luck with your other window, yes you will need to practice at this!! they are a pain in the nads

• Like 1

We managed the man on the moon by not cutting financial corners at every step ;) I had a problem with my Diesel Turbo Ford Focus' gear changes ... turns out all the cables move within this small piece of crappy plastic and that had broken on one side putting gears 1, 3 & 5 out of action ... it would have cost them ... what? ... a fiver to have used a bit of machined metal over using plastic ... but they wanted to save money ... ****s.

Still though ... 4,500 miles using zip ties as a fix can't be argued with too much ;)

Edited by Goz