Illumination (Illumi) Wire

Just lately, I've been getting a little ticked off with the brightness of my double din screen. Turning it down requires me to go into the settings and is a bit of a ballache.

The back of the HU has a single wire labelled 'Illumi'.

I've read that I can simply tap into the orange wire on the Wiring Harness and connect it, and this will work however I've also read on another VW forum that this causes the old magic smoke to appear and subsequent lack of illumination altogether.

Does anyone know the easiest way to wire this in so I have illumination controls?

Cheers

Edit:

P.S. I'd prefer not to wire into the cig socket, if possible.

Edited by Skezza

On Settings, there is three modes for brightness:

Auto

Day

Night

as you can expect, Day is very bright, Night is darker. Auto is supposed to do just that, dim the head unit when the headlights are on.

I assume the reason why it's not doing that (Auto basically is Day at the moment, always very bright) is because that Illumi wire from the back of the HU isn't connected?

Edited by Skezza

On Settings, there is three modes for brightness:

Auto

Day

Night

as you can expect, Day is very bright, Night is darker. Auto is supposed to do just that, dim the head unit when the headlights are on.

I assume the reason why it's not doing that (Auto basically is Day at the moment, always very bright) is because that Illumi wire from the back of the HU isn't connected?

I would imagine the HU needs to know when it's dark outside? So it will either have a sensor in it much like a laptop/iphone when set to auto brightness or as you say it would need wiring into the loom so it knows when the lights are on. Contact the manufacturer if your unsure

Hmm, see that seems a bit unnecessary, especially if the switch is available on the ISO block.

I'm tempting to stick a multimeter on the of the orange wire and see what the crack is with that. If 12v is detected when headlights are on, and 0v when headlights are off, it's the correct wire.... hmmm, I think! Not totally convinced mind.