changing piston rings and valve stem seals, what else do i need?

since i got my car its been giving me issues with burning oil and smoking a fair bit, then recently it started chucking out smoke in random bursts, and now its decided to chuck all its oil out. pretty sure its from the crank case breather becoming blocked and the pressure building up and bursting the hose off. Anyway as the cars now not in use ive decided to replace my piston rings and valve stem steals (both very common faults on lupos)

what else do i need besides these things?

Piston rings

valve stem seals

head bolts

head gasket

also is there anything i should look out for our be careful of?

a honing tool, scraper rings rocker gasket, oil, after you have run the car for a few 100 miles you would want to change the oil to get rid of contamination in the oil

got the tools for it i think, and ill get a rocker gasket too.

really in 2 minds about fixing my car and keeping it or selling it broke and moving on :(

Can you do mine? :lol:;)

not sure how this attempt is going to go yet! :lol:

bearing shells might as well be done, as they will be out, also big end bolts are stretchys too i'm told so set of them, belts and so on.

I was advised by lupoboz of the crank pulley bolt, sake of 1.50 i got a new one even though mine didn't snap.

I was told i was supposed to have the head skimmed which would have prevent my leaky coolant... You will probably get away with it providing your using same head but if worst happens i recommend k-seal, about 12 quid from eurocar parts seals it right up :)

i meant to put big end bolts on my list. also belts have just been done a matter of days ago so they'll stay, head will also be skimmed. have you done the same job then ?

• 2 weeks later...

I've rebuilt a sport engine and changed the above mentioned, the valve guides where also fairly worn so i replaced those too. I personally think they are worth replacing whilst the head is off. Obviously you'll need 16 but they were only a few quid each i think.

Mike