BMW theft video

grazo22

As cars get more computerised there becoming easier targets for some thieves. At the end of the day though if someone wants to steal something bad enough they will...

If I was ever fortunate to own such a car I'd invest in one of the Clifford alarms with tilt and glass sensors. A guy from clifford explained one of the top alarms to me and he mentioned a keypad hidden say under your dash and you input a digit code (that only you know) to disarm but you can start the car without it but if the code isn't inputted after like 30 seconds it slows to a holt and the horn beeps, hazards start flashing and it disables the car. Snazzy stuff!

As cars get more computerised there becoming easier targets for some thieves. At the end of the day though if someone wants to steal something bad enough they will...

If I was ever fortunate to own such a car I'd invest in one of the Clifford alarms with tilt and glass sensors. A guy from clifford explained one of the top alarms to me and he mentioned a keypad hidden say under your dash and you input a digit code (that only you know) to disarm but you can start the car without it but if the code isn't inputted after like 30 seconds it slows to a holt and the horn beeps, hazards start flashing and it disables the car. Snazzy stuff!

they do that and a finger print one

my corsa's alarm was stupidly sensitive, the wind would set it up if it moved the car at all, honestly anything near it would set it off, need to get an alarm for me loop!

Recently some stats were released where there were a number of thefts that cars were being taken using a lorry with a forklift on the back and a tail lift. Reverse it under the front wheels and use the fork lift to lift the back, not setting off the tilt alarm.

My next mod is going to be a cat 1 alarm for me. I fail to understand why there is demand for BMWs like this as they are so limited they will attract attention in parts or with a different identity. My dads BMW was stolen recently but it wasn't with an electric key thingy.

Edited by grazo22

. I fail to understand why there is demand for BMWs like this as they are so limited they will attract attention in parts or with a different identity.

A suprising amount go abroad. The ones that stay in the country will either be stripped or cloned. Most are stripped though. The higher the value of the car the higher the return on the theft.

Its particularly prevalent in BMWs due the placement of the OBD port - you can put your arm to it without activating the interior sensors.

Do you have a link to those stats? I have never heard of the forklift thing, and to be honest dont think its likely - how does the forklift get there in the first place? Also forklifts are loud!

I don't even understand whats happened here? i see they push it away but how to the get in in the first place?

I did watch a programme on TV about car thefts though, they stole one of the few mclaren slr's in the country! idiot filmed himself doing it!

They're also geting forged Docs and going to a european garage and pleading the stuck foreigner saying they've locked their car in a carpark not too far away, lost keys, are in a foreign country etc. Dealers cut them a new key with chip in, they then return to UK and take car with ease!

I don't even understand whats happened here? i see they push it away but how to the get in in the first place?

The car has a keyless entry ignition system.

They have a device that, when attached to the OBD port, hacks this system to unlock start the car.

They put the window through and attach the device to the OBD port.

They use the device to unlock the car.

They then push the car onto the road where they use the device again to start it and its never seen again.

The car has a keyless entry ignition system.

They have a device that, when attached to the OBD port, hacks this system to unlock start the car.

They put the window through and attach the device to the OBD port.

They use the device to unlock the car.

They then push the car onto the road where they use the device again to start it and its never seen again.

fair enough! i'd rather my car stolen this way than the guy who had his S3 stolen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSvrtmGMmUI notice the crowbar on the way out

Edited by Ashh
  • Like 1

I'll try and find the stats today somewhere.

I understand its easy because the tool they have enables them to reprogram a new key to the car. I just think whatever for a BMW 1m is in, whether parts or cloned, its going to get people interested. I would have thought they would much rather take an extremely expensive less eye arching 7 series and sell it to the mafia abroad.

That s3 theft is very clearly done where they need a fast car for a robbery or something. Oportunistic

I'll try and find the stats today somewhere.

I understand its easy because the tool they have enables them to reprogram a new key to the car. I just think whatever for a BMW 1m is in, whether parts or cloned, its going to get people interested. I would have thought they would much rather take an extremely expensive less eye arching 7 series and sell it to the mafia abroad.

That s3 theft is very clearly done where they need a fast car for a robbery or something. Oportunistic

run in, nick the keys, get lost :P common practice im made aware of

Found the section that said about it. It was a work document so was a summary of vehicle theft. It was a 2 minute grab, thought to exist however not used much due to the size of the lorry and forklift attached.

There is thought to be a tool that affects VAG group vehicles however this hasn't been confirmed.

It's crazy that the BMW OBD port can be used without turning the ignition on though!!!!!!

In a dream I had a patent idea of a devise that you place over you BMW obd port to stop potential thieves. You'd only find a broken window if it was secure enough, probably quite cheap to make once the idea is in place and would provide a solution to BMW owners whilst BMW think about aknowlegeing the problem :)

Any car that uses keyless unlocking and ignition is potentially vulnerable. Just depends on if the software has been hacked yet - as with anything like that, its only a matter of time!

The OBD needs to be powered when the ignition is off as if the owner lost all keys, you still need to be able to program a new one. EU rules state the OBD post must be within a certain distance of the driver, and be accessable without using any tools.

Edited by Defcon5

I'd rather they stole a car like this, than get in my house for the keys.

However, why keyless start has become so popular is a mystery to me.