1.4 8v carbs+

ElZ 16v

i own a mk1 arosa t reg

debating weather to fit a set of 1000cc bike carbs to it and a 4-2-1 manifold a decent induction system

would i see worthwhile gains?

i have also heard that parts from the 1.6 8v mk3 golf engines can be used like the cams and maybe more?

obviously an engine conversion would see better gains but i dont have the money just yet unless i sell my rs125 and spend £1500 on the engine but then i dont see the point as the car was only£1000

or anyone have any info or perhaps link me to another thread as iv tried searching but nothing useful came back

Edited by ElZ 16v

1600 golf engines are kinda Hard to find. i just missed one at my local scrappy. it ran too!

when you price it all up im sure its just better to put a bigger engine in or put the money towards something else? :)

is it an MPI or SPI engine?

my mate has a 1.6 golf so not that hard to find aha.. the only other engine i would put in it is a 1.6 polo gti engine which im sure will be considerably more to buy and get fitted than carbs wont it?

i am aware itl probly be costly for the gains but im just wondering how much gains it would get as iv read on forums from 2010 someone had a polo 1.4 8v with the work done i have mentioned and porting done aswell and it was producing 115bhp which is close to the gti engine anyway

if it really is pointless then i will just save for a polo gti engine but cant really have my car off the road with no engine in aha :)

i was gunna say, if it was you looking especially for one then you'd struggle but if there's on at your feet then ya. lol.

my buddies got one with the 1.4 ABD lump in it. after 145k its starting to get a bit tired. was gunna Put a 1.6 in for him or a AAZ TD. but hes just put a deposit on a Mint Vento so saves me some hassle lool. but i couldn't find a goodun anywhere

just thought it cost less than a polo gti engine and it would sound ace but iv been told thats all it would do is sound well not much power gains so i wont be bothering just gunna service my engine and probly sell up soon

Go for it mate, although i think i'd rather go for webers over bike carbs, provided you can get a manifold. I suppose the big plus for using bike carbs is that you can often chop the standard inlet manifold and put some short silicone hoses to the carbs, which keeps things cheap, but jetting is a lot more difficult with bike carbs and will cost more to jet than webers.

Make sure you fit a 4 branch too, cus the standard manifold would cripple it. Its definitely worth decatting it, not only for the extra power, but due to the fact that all the unburnt going through the pipe would kill it anyway!

A cheap reground cam would be a good idea. You want one as lairy as you can put up with and as lairy as the standard hydraulic lifters will cope with. See 'Autosprint' for cheap cams.

You'll be as quick as a standard GTI i'd have thought if they're well set up and it should have a very smooth power delivery.

Just don't expect to see more than 20mpg however you drive it! But it's a cheap way to get 'at least' a 25% power increase.

haha my arosa isnt turning much mpg back with me ragging it everywhere would you use a weber off an old 8v golf?

and a 421 manifold from a polo?

They'd be no point in replacing single point injection with a single choke carb.

You want a pair of twin choke 40's or bike carbs, so you have one choke per cyliner, as you get with throttle bodies.

Any 4 branch manifold which will fit would do the job as it will be better than the standard one. Maybe a GTI manifold with gutted cats if it fits, though it's still very restrictive.

yea so i could use twin webers off an old golf?

cpuld i just get a straight through exhaust made up ?

wouldnt it be tricky on enissions running carbs an no cat?

cheers for the help by the way

I don't know of any golf that came with twin 'twin choke' webers as standard. I thought tkey were all just a standard 34mm DMTL downdraft carb, which probably won't yield any more power.

You want something like these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Weber-Italian-made-40DCOM-carbs-NEW-ANY-JETTING-Alfa-Ford-Fiat-Peugeot-/290700341432?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43af1730b8

Not this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weber-32-34-DMTL-Carburettor-VW-Conversion-Manual-Choke-/140788556293?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20c7a6e205

Emissions may/will be a problem, unless you know an MOT tester. You could try running a cat at MOT time, but it won't last long!

A sraight through exhaust would be great, but you need a manifold with a larger bore. Check out to see if the ebay polo raceland one fits?

• 2 weeks later...