1.8t conversion

Matty Boy

Hi all I'm going to start my conversion soon just looking for some help on a few things. What gearbox should I use? I've been told not to use the one out of a seat ibiza? Also wiring will the internal loom need to be change or will it need a custom one?

it think gearbox is an 02a or 02j but i can't remember.

Wiring harness you could buy a donor car and just take the whole lot out and use those clocks.

Otherwise you would have to get the new ecu demobilized to run with the lupo barrel.

There is a company who can connect the 2 looms together from my recollection, look under thread "My 1.8t conversion" as it's mentioned in there.

Custom drive shafts, custom exhaust and downpipe, custom engine mounts, custom front panel and piping for intercooler and rad.

It's a huge job that I have been contemplating for a long time. I wouldn't start without a donor car (A3 1.8t sport) that's the best as it's cheap as chips and parts you don't need are worth a bit. I would also want at least £1500 cash on top of the donor to make sure I could get everything done correctly.

sorry forgot to mention the gearlinkage is different, agu engine used cable throttle body, hydraylic clutch so modified pedal box also, would need to uprate brakes with carbon lorraine pads and high carbon discs or do a g60 conversion

That's great thanks for your help! I'm going with the o2a gearbox and a hydro clutch, also a electronic throttle body cause mine is already electric. Should be started in the next month or so

grazzo is right ....

the company that did my loom are called ACR look them up on Facebook ... andy outhwaitwe is the man you want .. did a spot on job!

I used 02j ... slightly stronger box .. but wont really matter I heard 02a's are just as good!

good luck with it bro! ... ps .. i would have WAY more than £1500 to hand!

I'm using an 02a from a mk3 TDI. It's a CTN code and has a lot longer ratio's than a CDA/DPA 02a. The 16v 02a will top out around 130mph, which equates to relatively high rpm motorway cruising.

I worked out that i'll be doing 1800rpm at 80 and if i could pull it to the redline i'll be doing 180mph! haha!

I want this conversion so bad! :( Theres sooooo much to do though and you need to know your stuff... (Which I dont LOL)

i've started my 1.8t build, but i have hit a wall, i went down to my local vw dealership to get the weld in engine mount the boy there couldnt find what i was looking for so he gave my a copy of the parts for diagram and the part that i need is on the diagram but there is no number next to it so he said he couldnt order it grrrrrr!!!

now i know people have used them so i was wondering does anyone have a part number.

I have Andy's mobile number, i can pm you with it

You will be looking at around £400-£450 for your loom to modified

I'm going to use Polo GTI 9N2 mounts for my conversion.

With regards to loom, i'm using the standard management and just modding the T14a loom to fit the Lupo.

if you're not confident in wiring it yourself, try Qpeng or RubJonny off 'ClubGti'

• 2 weeks later...

i've started my 1.8t build, but i have hit a wall, i went down to my local vw dealership to get the weld in engine mount the boy there couldnt find what i was looking for so he gave my a copy of the parts for diagram and the part that i need is on the diagram but there is no number next to it so he said he couldnt order it grrrrrr!!!

now i know people have used them so i was wondering does anyone have a part number.

I have Andy's mobile number, i can pm you with it

You will be looking at around £400-£450 for your loom to modified

Have you ordered your loom yet?

i will get you the part number for the mount tomorrow

Im using a cupra r engine and loom, cutting and joining the looms together. (need to finish this)

o2j box 5 speed

cupra r gear linkage (drill 2 new holes in the center tunnel)

polo gti hubs and brake set up (when changing to disk you need lupo gti hand brake cables)

golf mk4 mount weld in on drivers side. (you will need a disel engine mount other wise it will hit the chassis leg and the gearbox will not fit)

custom back mount and gearbox mount

exhaust (i will be making in house as i have a ben person exhaust tube bender, once the engine is running)

drivers side drive shaft (mk4 golf long shaft hammer the out cv joint off and fit the lupo one) WILL NEED TO BE SHORTENED

passenger side (mk4 again switch ends then you have to cut and shorten the shaft) NOTE DO NOT CUT IN THE CENTER do it near an end as there will be less force and wight when spinning basic engineering.

Think iv covered most stuff

Edited by ONS Performance