Spraying grey doorcards black?

Hi,

I am looking for a new set of upper front door cards for my Lupo as the current ones are really showing their age (handles chipped/scuffed etc and rear clips broken).

I've seen a set which look to be in good condition, only trouble is they are light grey in colour, and the ones I have currently are the dark grey/black colour.

I was wondering if anyone has tried spraying them black with fabric paint? I've had a look using the search and not really found any pictures of it being done. Would it work and give a decent finish?

Thanks

Jamie

Retrim FTW :thumbsup:

Fabric + carpet glue = glory.

IMAG0873.jpg

Edited by Koop
  • Like 1

haha I was wondering if anyone would suggest that. I've seen the photos of yours and it looks great! I kind of wanted it to look standard though, unless I found some material I really really liked...lol

Could just find some material in the right dark grey. You'd have to take the handles & switches out to spray them anyway so it wouldn't take much more effort to retrim them.

fabric paint although you can get very good results never "feels" right, usually will have a sticky rough texture to it which is just horrible on something like a door card.

best solution is to find a new set as then its just plug and play.

I've got a passenger side top card in black if your interested.

• Like 1

thanks for your advice Koop, much appreciated!

Chrisbee, thanks for that info, I had wondered what the finish would be like. I've been looking for a black set for a while, and they're all either ones with electric switch holes (I've got manuals) or in the light grey colour. Thanks for the offer, but just looking at your thread I think yours are electric ones too, big shame as its the passenger one i need most! :/

no problems mate, i think you may struggle to find black door cards that are manual due to the fact they only really came with the sport models which all had electric windows.

could always convert your windows to electric, pretty straight forward conversion.

I'll just have to keep my eye out i guess. I did have an idea of getting ones with the electric window switch holes as they are more commonly available and then filling the hole with a small square of perspex type plastic, probably in gloss black. Not sure how that would look though :/

but srsly...

Retrim FTW :thumbsup:

It'll cost under a tenner & you'll feel very pleased with yourself when you're done, get on it lad.

• 2 weeks later...

I used carpet glue* from B&Q, you have to leave it a couple of mins to go tacky so it doesn't seep through

*[edit] don't do this...see below :lol:

Edited by Koop

I used the trimfix high heat stuff. Good stuff, you have about 10 mins to play about with the fabric before the glue sets. Do apply too much in one go as it will seep.

All in my retrim cost me about £40 and a couple of days work.

Start with the headliner, I one of the hardest bits to get out but really easy to trim and will get you used to how the fabric you choose stretches and folds.

DO NOT USE CARPET GLUE, it will only start to lift in the tight curve areas, trust me i know from experience, ive done door cards in my lupo twice first time, i used carpet glue, was great for about 2 months or so, once the sun started beating through the windows regularly it started lifting, done it again with trimfix stuff which was alot better lasted nearly a year but again started lifting slightly in tight areas,

Right on cue a bit of one of my door cards has lifted a bit :lol::doh: we live & learn eh. Thanks for stopping me buying more carpet glue for the headliner...and probably re-doing that door card only to fail just as hard again :lol: