Old member, new Gti - For sale

Pete91

Pete you shouldn't need a resistor, I'm site John did his mk6 wheel in the same way I did so should ise the existing airbag wire from the Lupo slip ring. I just reset my airbag light. Yours may be different though not 100% sure.

Alex

Pete you shouldn't need a resistor, I'm site John did his mk6 wheel in the same way I did so should ise the existing airbag wire from the Lupo slip ring. I just reset my airbag light. Yours may be different though not 100% sure.

Alex

When i spoke to him he said that it would need a resistor? Tbh i don't really have a clue about this stuff lol but he said to just measure the resistance of the standard gti air bag and then get a resistor of that value? Paranoid about just firing in though incase I set the airbag off haha.

I would be careful when testing the old airbag as a digital multi meter sends a voltage down the line to read the resistance. I'm not positive but that voltage could be enough to set the airbag off.

Yeah that's the bit i'm worried about. It sends a current through it. Never really thought about it before until James on here mentioned it has the potential to set the bag off. Only thing is, how else do you measure it?

I'm really not sure could be a case of trail and error get a couple of resistors at different ratings and solder some wires on the end then slide them into the plug and see if it takes the light off. Another way is test to see what voltage is going to the plug at the airbag. Then plug an amp meter into the circuit with the airbag connected I think before the airbag, this will tell you how much current the air bag if taking then divide the voltage value by the value of the current and that will give you the resistance value. Make sure amp meter in our into the circuit so like its a component in the line.

Mine was connected using the original lupo airbag wire with the golf air bag connector soldered on-

IMG_1101.jpg

No need for a resistor.. no worries :)

Alex

Edited by fatttty

Mine was connected using the original lupo airbag wire with the golf air bag connector soldered on-

IMG_1101.jpg

No need for a resistor.. no worries :)

Alex

Alex, you're a legend.

Just went out there and soldered the lupo wire from the slip ring straight to the mk6 wheel. Reset the code and it's worked perfect! Can't thank you enough mate!

If you're not planning on wiring it up and just want to turn the light off, a 3 amp blade fuse provides the right resistance iirc.

Cheers Joe, i was thinking i could do something like this but I figured it'd be best to wire it up :)

Alex, you're a legend.

Just went out there and soldered the lupo wire from the slip ring straight to the mk6 wheel. Reset the code and it's worked perfect! Can't thank you enough mate!

My pleasure mate, thought it was odd for John not to do a 'proper job' glad its sorted now

Alex

I tried getting the piece from b&q but had no luck so had to make one up. I'm pretty sure you'll get it online though :)

All it really is though is a hollow tube with one end threaded. It has a washer on the outside part that has been bent slightly to accoubt for the curvature of the throttle body piping. On the other side is a nut that gets tightened which seals it up.

Not sure what size the tube is but it came with the tank. If you haven't bought yours yet I got mine from cbs and you get all the tubing and fittings etc. I can measure it in the morning if need be :)

Not a clue mate. Think I saw someone call it one before and it's just stuck.

I've got the 90deg bend and the BMC. I've also got a lot of piping but I obviously need something to connect the catch tank in which is why I'm looking for one!

Might just bite the bullet and get someone to create me one.