juddery when driving?

Brad1992

hey guys, my car seems to judder every so often when im drivng at about 40ish and occasionally it just has the EC something light + engine light come on which cuts off the engine, but then they go off and the engines on again.. any idea WTH this is?

is that only something vw can do? :P

ok cool :D i'll see if any near me have one. cheers koop ^^

Ah I can't help you then :lol: Good luck you should be able to find someone dahn sahf

hahaa ermm koop, i've gotta show you these, might be something to do with it, i wouldn't know, dont know alot about cars :(

one of the bolts from the top of the engine next to the one i just pulled out which looked a bit worse for wear..

DSC00602.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

Is this a good colour for oil?

DSC00601.jpg

And to my mystery squeak, it seems to be coming from these which were rubbing on the cover they had

DSC00603.jpg

the plastic cover has wear marks on it from a belt i believe, the bolts are from the metal next to the wheels haha, i removed one because they was holding in my bmc cda air filter + it looks sheered off, but not sure whether the rest is left in there or if it is old!

thanks

If the cover has wear marks on it that means the belt has been touching it (obviously) which could have weakened the belt over time. Has the cambelt ever been changed if so when? The worst possible thing would be for the belt to snap due to wear which would leave you with a hefty 3 figure sum for an engine rebuild.

As for the bolt it might help to have a photo of where it actually came from? As for having the codes read most garages will do it for a minimal charge and maybe even free if you ask nicely!

i will get a pic when i can as its getting dark here :(

DSC00602.jpg

Short bolt holds the plastic engine cover on (which from your photos appears to be missing).

Long bolt holds the cam carrier on. You shouldn't have removed more than one without knowing the correct order to remove them in and torquing them back up correctly as you can warp the carrier.

cars getting vagcomd by a friend and in a few days will be checked over by my mums friend whos a mechanic, he seems to think its a limp home mode that it keeps going into as when it cuts out its still on but no accelerator :/

seems the cambelt needs replacing, i wouldnt try to avoid changing it, if i was you i would just change it immediatley before it snaps. Ive put a FAQ on here which i will link to this page for people without much car experiance

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89324&pid=1027919&st=0entry1027919

thanks, im doing a max of 4 miles a day until i have money on friday, fingers crossed it keeps till then!