Lupo 1.4 to 1.6 16v problems

Hinglezz

Hello

this is my first post so go easy...

Im 17 and have brought a 1.4 16v lupo (fantasia green) with a 1.6 16v from a polo GTI engine in it.

Due to electronics the car is running like **** because I have had to run the

1.4 throttle body

1.4 inlet manifold (only 10mm all round different)

1.4 ECU

and a few other bits which dont really affect it.

The car runs really lumpy and very uneven. I have looked into decoding the ECU and getting all the parts in order to do the change over and with all the electronic jobs its over £1200!

I understand this is what ill have to do eventually but will I need the polo 1.6 16v wiring loom? As i was wondering if the 1.4 loom will fit directly onto the 1.6 ECU or is this different?

and also can you think of anything else that i'll need as I understand some people on here know a lot more about this than me....

LAST THING

The 1.6 has a sensor on the top where the 1.4 didn't. I was wondering what it is?

I think its a cam sensor but I'm not 100% and would i need to connect it up or would the people decoding the ECU disable it?

Thanks

James

And i realise I may have not done it perfect and may have to do things differently thats why I'm asking...

Here it is so far.

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

16" CUPS

Edited by Hinglezz

the 1.6 has vvt so its an actuator for this, you have to change the loom, you have to change the ecu, you will also need the immobiliser ecu and the chip out of the key to go with that ecu. dont try to cut corners the problems you have are because of this, find a loom and rest of it and get stuck in, I have just done a 1.4 8v 6n2 to 1.6 gti and 6 speed box and mines as sweet as a nut.

good luck your work is just starting

you can also use lupo gti harness and stuff not just polo. the cheapest way is to buy a donor car take what you need then sell everything else on to recoup money, crash damage is the cheapest route, but since you already have engine just find the stuff you need, find someone breaking one infact someone on here is breaking a gti loop, i dont know what he has left but its worth a pm.

the 1.6 gti polo engine isn't vvti i believe, whereas lupo gti is, just thought id add :)

wrong!

yes polo and loop gti engine are working wise the same, run different ecu,s but both work, loop gti 123bhp, polo gti 125bhp, never looked into it but think its the ecu that make the difference but might be wrong on that one, but both have vvt and that will be his difference, its actuator is on the left hand side as you look into engine bay from front.

yes polo and loop gti engine are working wise the same, run different ecu,s but both work, loop gti 123bhp, polo gti 125bhp, never looked into it but think its the ecu that make the difference but might be wrong on that one, but both have vvt and that will be his difference, its actuator is on the left hand side as you look into engine bay from front.

Thanks for your reply, im just on way to pick up a polo gti I have brought from Kent, it's got a gearbox gone but I have a spare :) so hopefully We'll have it running sweet in no time.

Thank you, much appreciated information

Look forward to seeing the progress when I come down for that steering rack ;)

Look forward to seeing the progress when I come down for that steering rack ;)

The car is at a different location to steering rack :/ but your welcome to see the projects that are complete :)

Cool got a few on the go then!

Well a mk1 golf (nearlly finished) and white lupo, if ur lupo is on the deck you may not be able to get up drive so may have to park at bottom and walk since it takes me about 30 mins and a hell of a lot of hole filling to get my lupo up haha, it's only about a 10 sec walk

Standard suspension & 16s, pretty much on stilts atm :lol:

About the polo i've brought...

I had a look today and found this is going to be a right A*** of a job!

I have a 1.4 remember so every loom on the car is different, all plugs are different... The engine connections isn't a big problem since the loom is made for a 1.6 gti... BUT

The interior looms like speedo cluster, hazards, fuse box, all of this sort of stuff is going to be nearlly impossible to swap over!! And to make it worse I counted the ecu plugs on the lupo and there is a different number of pins! so they won't fit onto the 1.6 ecu anyway :surprised: so I may have to use polo ecu plug... I think its going to be a dashboard out joband wires cutting and chopping :evil: honestly I can't see any other way around it!

Any help at all would be good, has anyone done it before and can tell me the best way to do it as I'm trying to avoid the nightmare job if there is an easier way...

Help is appreciated

Thanks

use polo speedo, I would swap whole loom and fusebox, chop when comes to doors as you dont need air system for central locking, if you already have central locking it will be harder to keep prob easier to retrofit a kit. The dash was always going to have to come out though, hence why I said your work as only begun. the rest is straight forward really you might have a few plugs to chop and slice

use polo speedo, I would swap whole loom and fusebox, chop when comes to doors as you dont need air system for central locking, if you already have central locking it will be harder to keep prob easier to retrofit a kit. The dash was always going to have to come out though, hence why I said your work as only begun. the rest is straight forward really you might have a few plugs to chop and slice

Thanks, really appreciate the help, now I know what i have to do Ill get on with it :)

Thanks

You will also have to splice the lupo plugs onto the polo loom for the headlights