diesel

does anyone know if the lupo 1.7sdi will run on biodiesel without any problems?

ive just discovered rather a lot of it... sophie

im guessing no problems. ive looked into it myself, but im incredibly lazy and therefore have not actually tried it.

one thing thats there is that it can jell up injectors so maybe if you run it with a bit of diesel? or put in some injector cleaner every so often might solve it.

Other than that i see no problems

thanks, i thought with the 1.7 being the old school type engine it would have less trouble with the bio than the newer types.

sophie

I've been running my Lupo SDI on 100% biodiesel for over a year now without any probs. I had to change the fuel filter after a while when it clogged up, but no probs otherwise :thumbup:

I understand that all non-PD diesel VAG engines made before 2004 are fine to run on high proportion biodiesel - so its probably a no-no for the Lupo TDI :( By the way though, 'normal' diesel bought from mainstream suppliers has between 2% and 5% biodiesel already mixed in... :surprised:

From what I read when researching the subject prior to starting to use 100% biodiesel in my Lupo, the main issues seem to be:

1. Because biodiesel has a greater 'solvent' quality than normal diesel, it can 'corrode' non-compatible fuel pipes and joints

(this 'solvent' quality is also the reason it cleans fuel tanks and pipes and, as a result, initially clogs up the fuel filter).

2. High pressure diesel pumps (PD or Common Rail) aren't keen on biodiesel.

Not sure if the above is universally applicable - perhaps other, more technically experienced folk on here may be able to advise.....

Enjoy your cheap, emissions neutral motoring in your SDI :thumbup:

I've been running my Lupo SDI on 100% biodiesel for over a year now without any probs. I had to change the fuel filter after a while when it clogged up, but no probs otherwise :thumbup:

I understand that all non-PD diesel VAG engines made before 2004 are fine to run on high proportion biodiesel - so its probably a no-no for the Lupo TDI :( By the way though, 'normal' diesel bought from mainstream suppliers has between 2% and 5% biodiesel already mixed in... :surprised:

From what I read when researching the subject prior to starting to use 100% biodiesel in my Lupo, the main issues seem to be:

1. Because biodiesel has a greater 'solvent' quality than normal diesel, it can 'corrode' non-compatible fuel pipes and joints

(this 'solvent' quality is also the reason it cleans fuel tanks and pipes and, as a result, initially clogs up the fuel filter).

2. High pressure diesel pumps (PD or Common Rail) aren't keen on biodiesel.

Not sure if the above is universally applicable - perhaps other, more technically experienced folk on here may be able to advise.....

Enjoy your cheap, emissions neutral motoring in your SDI :thumbup:

Have you tried Pure veg oil? (filtered obviously)

i am still considering this option as i don't quite trust myself mixing chemicals and getting exact ratios!

I'm also a bit nervous about sticking pure veg oil straight into my tank.... But when you can pick it up for near half the price of diesel per litre from the likes of Costco it becomes more and more tempting. A mix of diesel + veg oil may be worth a wee trial during this summer :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...