MOT suspension/coilover problems really need help

Okay fellow dubberz I really really really need your help-

Basically I brought a lup few months back its mint proper nice I have had it tucked away in the garage and slowly starting to get it ready for this summer, none of me mates know I have a new dub anyway I had he MOT 3 days ago and its only failed on 1 thing which is quite “major”

Basically the car is on FK coilovers its sitting low, now the guy at the MOT test centre said when he jacks the back of my car up the suspension at the back comes out of place, every time I go over a hump its moves a little out of place to the point where if I drove over a big hump or went over a pothole fast the suspension will give way the tires will shoot up and the car will flip up.

Am now well nervous to drive it, to get a second opinion I went to another garage and he said the same thing, I really want the car ready for the summer as I have everything else in place, i was due to put on me BBS tomorrow so has any1 else had a similar problem? Or can you advice me on anything? Ovb I refuse to drive the car until its safe as I have baby nieces etc.

The guy at the mot centre said I can get 2 holes drilled at the side and then you have these straps/holders? That holds the suspension in place? Has any1 ever come across anything like that? Am just proper stuck on what to do and basically am just relying on your lots feedback now…proper frustrated by this....

Thank you.

Drove my Lupo without the adjuster over potholes, bumps and it's been fine. You really need to rear swing arm near full extension for the spring to be loose.

As Treblet said, you can use cable ties to hold the spring in place. Or you can do what I did and drill a lower shock mount on the swing arm. This stops the spring falling out at full extension + will give a bit more shock life as it has more stroke to deal with bumps, dips etc.

Adjusters can go back in.

Any thick cable ties will do.

Unless you like chucking the car over humped back bridges the car is fine to drive on the roads. I've ragged my round crappy B roads without incident.

Edited by Deadmetal

And I can still keep the coil overs once the adjusters are back in? And possible links for cable ties? Sorry I know I proper sound daft rite now it's just this the first time I've ever come across something like this and yeah i been tryin to get a reaction out of it but it seems to hold in place thank you for the feedback appreciated I will need help locating the ties :)

Theres normally people on here selling adjusters. This your only option really in my opinion, though you could drill the spring cup and cable tie it, but how pikey is that!?

Don't worry about it mate, if that's all it failed on, it's very easily fixed! It was just a case of some dumb arse trying to get it as low as possible and affecting their own safety and everybody elses safety while they're at it.

The adjusters are part of the coilover set up on the rear, as they aren't really coilovers, but separate springs and shocks.

If you want to stay that low, just get secure with cable ties. You could use stainess steel or nylon.

If you want to raise it a bit, put a wanted ad up for adjusters for your coilover set up.

R

Thank u all for your input and Ruth I have no idea I've not got underneath it mate, am guna message lupoboz rite now see if he can get hold of sum cable ties for me, "pikey" or not lol I just wana b safe driving it and enjoy the car :) once again thank u all been great help ;)

Thank u all for your input and Ruth I have no idea I've not got underneath it mate, am guna message lupoboz rite now see if he can get hold of sum cable ties for me, "pikey" or not lol I just wana b safe driving it and enjoy the car :) once again thank u all been great help ;)

Were not talking about any specific cable tie. Just a big black plastic cable tie. They have many names; cable tie, zip tie, tie wrap etc...

You can get them from any DIY shop.

19982.jpg

Of course new coilovers would sort it as you would get new adjusters in the box.

But it's an expensive solution if there noubt wrong with yours. I reckon cable tie them for now and put up a wanted ad.

If they are a major brand you may even be able to buy replacements from the like of Kam Racing.

Thanks silver your a legend !! I think I will just get new coiles or 60mm springs that should b low enough on lup as its going to be sittin on 15'z

Am just bit put off but it now ini so start from scratch knowing its safe

best way, i have some adjusters for some fk's though...