Removing steering wheel

Widelupo

It's simple enough to explain but can be quite tricky. Remove the plastic trim around the steering column. Turn the wheel 90degree to the right. There will be a hole at the back of the wheel behind the horn button. Use a flat was screen driver, insert and use it to prise a metal retaining clip holding the air bag in place.

Once thats I unclipped turn the wheel 180degrees and repeat inserting the screwdriver into another hole on the opposite side.

With both clips popped te airbag will pull off. The wheel is held on with a 22mm bolt I think. Te tricky part is removing the airbag took me about half hour with some swearing lol

Alex

and how about putting it back on? (planning a Gti wheel upgrade) is it just a case of push and click? or jibber jabbering with a screw driver to clip it back on?

Sounds like its the same as I had on my 3 series so the bag should just pop back in. Getting the clips off in the first place is the fiddley bit. When I did mine I had a spare wheel to replace it so could see what I was trying to get to from the back. If someone has a picture of a wheel with no bag fitted it might help show the clips.

You'll need to lever the clip and then you'll see the airbag pop forward. I wouldn't pull too much.

As Huw said, the clips are really tight, you have to pull at the airbag as you prise the clip with the screwdriver. As I said its really fiddly and annoying!

Ok I could not get the clip for airbag out. So I decided to rip the airbag out with a Stanley knife and undo the clips from the front. Got the steering wheel fitted. But the horn isn't working and the airbag sign is on.

Apart from all tht the new mountney steering wheel is looking sweet.

Use a flat head screw driver with the widest head that will fit inside the hole on the rear of the steering wheel, twist it till you feel it pushing the clips & pull on the wheel centre at the same time.

Use a flat head screw driver with the widest head that will fit inside the hole on the rear of the steering wheel, twist it till you feel it pushing the clips & pull on the wheel centre at the same time.

To late lol. Destroyed the original steering wheel with a stanley knife. Once you remove the bag itself you can see the airbag unit clip.

• 8 months later...

This is a bit of a bump but I had to take mines off today so though I would add some info to help folk in the future.

The bolt holding the wheel on is 24mm.

Also, when putting the flatheat in to undo the clip only put it in about 3/4 and lever it off. I was putting it all the way in and spent ten minutes fannying about with it and getting no-where. Once I figured out I had to only slide it in 3/4 (hehehehe) it only only took about 10 seconds (she was well disappointed)

Edited by Pete91