Spacers?

Lola the lupo

I am looking to get a set of spacers to accompany some new coilovers which i havent yet bought to sort out my stance but ive been told that they can add strain to your wheel bearings and destroy them, is this true?

And makes, do spacers really matter on make and stuff?

Any help would be nice. Cheers, Sam

i'v not heard about it affecting the wheel hubs although it could do.."extensive negative offset can potentialy cause increased steering wheel kick-back and place additional stess on the vehicle's entire suspension" i'm guessing you not looking to space out your wheels too much though? and are you looking at hubcentric spacers (the bolt on ones) ?

if you really wanted to.. :huh: aftermarket spacers and bolts aren't made of cheese

see

Exactly Ray, How hard is it for people to do a little reading on wheel width and offset .

Sorry I assumed we were talking wheels fitting legally, without wrecking tyres and bodywork.

And, oh dear. I made my 20mm spacers from finest Jarlsberg as the holes happend to be in the correct place. Maybe I should go check them before my next roadtrip.

You assumed, and ****ed up.

Of course width, offset and tyre choice play huge parts in spacer choice.

We may be childish but you sir, sound dumb in this thread.

ive been told that they can add strain to your wheel bearings and destroy them, is this true?

Looks to me like OP was after this being answered, wether they will fit etc is useless to the OP anyway :thumbsup:

But the OP also states:

I am looking to get a set of spacers to accompany some new coilovers which i havent yet bought to sort out my stance...

...therefore I assume he wants to be able to drive his car.

15mm spacers will be fine yes, but you would be better deciding on wheel fitments first and then getting spacers to fill the space between tyre\wheel and arch.

Adding spacers will put more pressure on your wheel bearings as you are increasing the axle length (and therefore pressure on the bearing) on the outside of the bearing. Get all the geometry set up after fitting and it will help. I have had 20mm spacers on the rear of my GTI for approx 30k now and I haven't eaten any wheel bearings.

I already have a set of aftermarket rims which came with the car they are 15 and i think 6.5 or 6 i will have to check on that and et i dont have a clue might have to take the wheels off to have a look if it says, tyres i just have a set of standard tyres budget i think called event? And yeah i would like to be able to drive the car legally if i can haha. And then lower maybe 60~70mm or more whatever i think looks best and can still be driven without eating the floor.

Cheers for your help, Sam.

If you can confirm the wheel width and offset, I'm sure some of the wheel officianados will help you out with tyres and spacing requirements. If you don't intend on swapping the tyres, post the size too.

• 4 weeks later...