Bought a GTI few issues..

Hi Guys,

Just bought myself a GTI today, got it for a good price but it has a couple of issues.

- Passenger window doesn't go up and down at all, light in the switch is on but nothing happens. Tried it from the drivers side switch as well but still doesnt work so dont think its a switch issue.

-Central locking: when i open the car with the fob it unlocks the drivers door but not the passenger door or boot. to open the passenger door and boot i have to press the button again. But when i lock the car it locks both? Also the doors automatically lock themselves after like 30 seconds if i dont put the key in the ignition, even with the door open.

-My bonnet also wont open when i pull the lever (worked when i viewed the car), it seems very stiff but even when i pull it all the way back it does nothing. Ive sprayer some WD40 onto the catch through the gap between the bonnet and grill, so hopefully that will do the job once its soaked in but if it doesnt work does anyone have any ideas how to get it open?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

- Passenger window doesn't go up and down at all, light in the switch is on but nothing happens. Tried it from the drivers side switch as well but still doesnt work so dont think its a switch issue.

Time to take the upper doorcard off and get a multimeter across the plug for the window, if it shows a voltage, the motor needs replacing.

-Central locking: when i open the car with the fob it unlocks the drivers door but not the passenger door or boot. to open the passenger door and boot i have to press the button again. But when i lock the car it locks both? Also the doors automatically lock themselves after like 30 seconds if i dont put the key in the ignition, even with the door open.

That's fine, it just means someone's activated that option on vagcom, don't worry about it, anti hijacking thing.

-My bonnet also wont open when i pull the lever (worked when i viewed the car), it seems very stiff but even when i pull it all the way back it does nothing. Ive sprayer some WD40 onto the catch through the gap between the bonnet and grill, so hopefully that will do the job once its soaked in but if it doesnt work does anyone have any ideas how to get it open?

If you're totally stuck, pop the lever off, access the cable and use two pairs of pliers to pull the cable. Cheap enough to replace the lever and back panel.

Enjoy the car and vote Rich in December 2012.

It can't unless you break out the vagcom, it's a usefull feature to have, just don't be silly and leave the key in.

Surely it shouldnt lock if the key is in the ignition with the door open?

OP does your fuel pump prime when you open the door? If not it could be a micro switch in the door that has gone

yeh does your interior light come on when you open the door? mine does that because both door switches are broken. If i unlock the car then open the boot, it doesnt lock after 30 seconds, because the boot swith is working.

Interior light works when i open the doors, deffo anit hijacking. And no the doors wont lock if you leave the keys in the ignition, but if there not in the ignition then it will lock. and its allways the time that there not in the ignition you will shut them in the car and get locked out so im going to get it turned off. I dont live in some eastern block european country so have no need for it.

Edited by mike1

The car should not lock if the doors are open, you have a dodgy door microswitch.

The interior lights come on when you unlock the car, so you would need to wait to see if it goes off with the drivers door open. I bet it probably will.

The double click unlock is a coding option like already said, you will get used to it, but i do agree it can be a pain.

Change the door microswitch and you will be fine.

John

I take it its going to be the microswitch in the drivers door? where abouts is it located..

I dont know about VW, but anit hijacking ive seen in other cars automatically locks the doors after a set period of time (ie 30 seconds) when the car is stationary then they unlock themselves after a set speed normally around 15mph. what would be the point of the doors locking at 15mph? who the hell is going to try and open your door while moving. the doors needs to be locked when stationary so you cant be hijacked..

No it the opposite. There's two settings,

Anti hijack is the double click on the fob, if your on your own you press it once, have only the drivers door unlocked and you drive like that. Or thats how it was designed to be used.

There is another setting in vag called auto lock, this locks te doors at over 15mph as a safety precaution. Also another one to get the car to beep when locking/unlocking.

The mIcroswirch is in one of two places, I'm having brain failure at the moment. It's either in the lock mechanism itself and detects the door when it's shut. Or it's in the common place which is on the front door shut, little black push button like thing.

John