Bad Noise When Driving

Hi Folks,

Just bought a 1.0E lupo at a cracking price only thing wrong with it is when driving at 20+ a loud vibrating noise is coming from the front right wheel when i turn right slightly and when i speed up the noise gets faster and louder, i changed the wheel for the spare wheel as there is a decent kerb mark on the old wheel (thinking the wheel is twisted or something) but it done nothing.. now is this the cv joint or track rodend got a funny feeling its the track rod end. Also the car has been sitting for a few months any info would be great

and iam new to the site so be nice :tongueout:

^ Rich is probably correct on the wheel bearing... Usually gets worse at higher speeds and whilst cornering; not exactly much of a job getting it up on axle stands and checking the wheel for and play.. On my old Tdi the o/s bearing was knackered but had no play when i checked it, turned out the bearing had collapsed..The outer casing had a crack when i removed it.. A few ££ for a new bearing and to get it pressed into the hub and it was good as new.

Mike

Edited by Thissy

Jack it up, hold the wheel at 12 and 6 and rock back an forth slighty, if you feel excess play it could be a worn top mount (doubt it from what you have described) or a worn wheel bearing or bottom ball joint.

Now hold the wheel ate 3 an 9 and rock it, if you feel play here and not at 12 - 6 this indicates a worn track rod end (you can normally see it and feel it if you cover it with your hand. How ever if theres play at both this mornally means a worn wheel bearing, and you will be able to feel play all round the wheel.

Tell tale sign of the cv joint going is that it clicks on full lock, check the cv boot for any splits or cracks, was there grease on the inside of the wheel you tokk off.

There is no grease on the old wheel i tryed moving the wheel 3 - 9 before and there was no play, it just feels like somethings touching the wheel would this sound like a cv joint? thanks for the replys folks cant get it into the garage as its christmas !