195/50x15 On gti?

Damogti

Hi i would just like to say the little gti is great in snow! I want to fit some snow tyres to my car for the winter months the brand i want which are nokians dont make the weird tyre size i need,as we all know only dunlop and toyos make them.Anyway the closest i can get is 195/50x15 does any one know how these will fit the gti wheel without rubbing etc? I would go for 45 side wall size but cant get them for the brand i want. cheers Damo.

Its not lowered just standard! maybe the height will give a bit more ground clearance on the front bumper as it hits frozen snow!lol we also have vrs fabia and that rolls real bad so agen im to fussed cant really drive that fast in snow so isnt to much of an issue! Has any body else on here fitted snow tyres to there gti at all and found a good size or brand? Nokians are ment to be real good but any others people are impressed with? Thanks

I have a standard GTi and I was going to get some winter tyres as they are measurably better when the temperature drops below 10 degrees as they have a different rubber content so that is a fair bit of the winter time and they are also better in the snow as well,

However the latest edition of which magazine has the Nokian WR model a long way down the rankings and the best one is the Continental Wintercontact which score very good across the catagories.

Depending on the size you can get, tyre sidewall height is as follows

205/50 is 102

195/50 is 97

205/45 is 92

195/45 is 87

in the past I had some 205/50 on for a short time and they slightly rubbed on full lock only so I would have thought anything less would be fine. I think getting some winter tyres is a great idea it only takes a wee bump on the front or side or to your wheels and hubs and you have saved money on any repair bills.

all the best stevie

Thanks for the info never thought of 205/45 lol! il take a look at which magazine sounds good i do think nokian have brought a new tyre out so will look in to it but if they reckon conti are far better then i will look into this as i want the best for my money.cheers stevie will re post when fitted etc will be after christmas tho.Damien

I bought a set of BF Goodrich G-Force for the Polo and fitted them to a set of A3 peperpots. Really seem to grip better.

Have you got winter rims? If not a set of 14" steels with 185\55\14 may be a good option for the winter; lots of choice in winter tyres too.