Have a look at this

Lupo-Joe

I done a lot of research before buying mine and the Dune is great for what it is.

I read a report either AutoExpress or Parker's which at first looked at whether the Dune was viable and should it have been made 4x4.

On asking the question "why do you buy a 4x4?" most answers were" due to the better higher position, giving a better view of the road".

The Dune does this without the expense of running 4 wheel drive. The suspension "is what VW calls its 'inclement weather kit.' This is basically a package of parts which are fitted to standard Polos heading for countries where the roads are particularly bad" and the roof bars are a great addition. The interior is nice too! It returns 50mpg on long trips with the roofbox and fully laden, which isn't too bad, but I'm hoping a remap will see that improve.

That said I would love it if my Dune were 4Motion and with a larger 1.7/1.9 TDI lump. I see the new one comes with a 1.6TDI 105PS\104BHP, but I don't think it's available in the UK yet.

I could have bought a Freelander for a similar cost to my Dune, but with the additional running costs it wasn't even worth considering.

So in short, yes the Dune is a Polo in fancy dress, but it's a practical fancy dress.

...and I'm sure the Up! Cross will be the same.