AFK 100bhp sport engine work???

niallod

well im am stripping and rebuilding my engine with new seals and usual carryon.... i was thinking while i am at this is there anything that would make any significant difference to performance that i may aswel change while the engine is stripped thanks.....

niall

how would you go about doing this? :)

Not something you would contemplate doing yourself unless you have a spare knocking about.. If it isn't balanced properly once lightened you will more than likely be taking a step backwards as far as performance goes.

Mike

Not something you would contemplate doing yourself unless you have a spare flywheel knocking about.. If it isn't balanced properly once lightened you will more than likely be taking a step backwards as far as performance is concerned.

Mike

What cams would I buy? Also by adding The bottom end of a gti, skimming and porting the head, cda induction, lightened flywheel and exhaust manifold what bump would this be looking at??? Around 130/140?

Where will lighten and balance a flywheel for free?

If you lived near me, i would.

There is no need to balance it as long as the face is clocked up in the chuck using a DTI. If done correctly it will run exactly as before. You can only balance a flywheel properly when it's attached to the crank.

I've done over 20k miles on mine now with no problems.

Edited by Cooper_GTI

Well lightening the flywheel is basically a trade off between torque and bhp.

The heavier the flywheel, the more energy it stores and the more momentum it carries, at the cost of taking more power to get to speed.

A lighter flywheel will take less power to get to the equivalent speed, hence puts less load on the engine, however, there will be a loss in torque as a result. Although i didn't really notice the torque loss, but it definitely made it rev faster, especially when on vvti.

A light flywheel will also make the engine decellerate more quickly on the overrun.

Unfortunately, i am working away from home, in Wales, for the forseeable future, although it's not really a service i would want to do for people anyway. If for instance someones engine did blow up due to my error or not, i'd be the first person they come to see!

Ok that's prtitty cool, I was just interseted in how it worked! You did this all your self that's brave! I wouldn't know where to staart! And yea totally understand the last section... I was just enquiring :) thanks anyway :)

Lighten the flywheel. Costs nothing and makes a noticeable difference.

Don't know about costs nothing!

I have never seen a flywheel that didn't need balancing after lightening, and the people who do our flywheels at work are ex Farndon, so should know what they are doing... Then the balancing is done by Chessman Motorsport in Cov. Zeroing out the flywheel doesn't mean it will stay in balance, they are probably cast iron flywheels, so the density of the meatal can easily change over the area of the flywheel.

True that on a 4 cylinder motor you might never notice and that factory balancing tolerences are pretty big.

Don't know about costs nothing!

I have never seen a flywheel that didn't need balancing after lightening, and the people who do our flywheels at work are ex Farndon, so should know what they are doing... Then the balancing is done by Chessman Motorsport in Cov. Zeroing out the flywheel doesn't mean it will stay in balance, they are probably cast iron flywheels, so the density of the meatal can easily change over the area of the flywheel.

True that on a 4 cylinder motor you might never notice and that factory balancing tolerences are pretty big.

When i said it costs nothing, i wasn't being literal, i should have probably said "it costs next to nothing as far as engine modifications go". Although, it did cost me nothing! :D

Well the lighter you make the flywheel, the less effect an unbalanced flywheel will make, so by taking an already balanced flywheel and removing the same amount of material accross the face, you really aren't gonna throw it out of balance too far and due to the reduction in weight, you really wont notice it.

Theres a lot of material that can be removed from a standard GTI flywheel, what's more, it's all in the outer cirumference, where the moment of interia is at its greatest.

• 4 weeks later...

on my old midget engine i had some of the bits balanced and as has been said it is noticeable if only on the smoothness of running, remember this is an A series engine and knowing how things in engineering move on i would expect the lupo 4 banger to be much closer in its overall tolerances. Still in your position i would have it balanced/lightened as it should add some durability through not being so stressed.

pretty sure for me it was, crank, flywheel with the clutch bolted to it, but it was some time ago......some of the race boys used to have their pistons and rods balanced to, but for a road engine i would think that was a little overbored, just my opinion

on my old midget engine i had some of the bits balanced and as has been said it is noticeable if only on the smoothness of running, remember this is an A series engine and knowing how things in engineering move on i would expect the lupo 4 banger to be much closer in its overall tolerances. Still in your position i would have it balanced/lightened as it should add some durability through not being so stressed.

pretty sure for me it was, crank, flywheel with the clutch bolted to it, but it was some time ago......some of the race boys used to have their pistons and rods balanced to, but for a road engine i would think that was a little overbored, just my opinion

I wouldn't build an engine without balancing pistons and rods, pistons are easy and can be done with some drug dealer type scales. Rod's require a swing that allows you to balance them end to end, this is very time consuming and at work we get somebody else to do it, even though we have the equiptment, But it's well worth the effort for smoothness and component life.

For sure Leyland stuff is miles off on balance, flywheels are the worst. Ideally you balance the crank and sprocket/cambelt pulley, then the damper, then add the flywheel and then the clutch cover. That way each item is individually balanced.