Coolant Change Help

beska133

Hi all,

I've recently done a coolant change in my Seat Arosa 1L as its 8 years old, done 30k miles and never been changed, so while i was servicing it i thought i'd do the coolant too.

I put a flush through the system and flushed it out, then ran a hose for a few minuits via the expansion tank to clear the rest out.

What came out was red coolant, but i was advised that the system would take 5.5L, and when refilling with Uniparts Super OAT 5 year red coolant, it only took about 4.5/5L,

So, as some of the old coolant has mixed with the new coolant, also, im reading it should have been G12 coolant?

When i went back to unipart and ask them they said there red super oat coolant is suitable for German engines and he asumes it is a g12 as its got anti corrosion properties, but can it be mixed with the old g12?

What has anyone else added to the system if they have done a change?

Please calm my nerves as its a new car and im worried i will do a crap load of damage!

Cheers : )

also, in the expansion tank, the coolant is still red, not brown!

yeah i noticed the oat stuff in halfords meets the vw standards, but what i red ANYTHING you mix with g12 causes problems, so for the sake of spending just under £30 in halfords on the oat coolant, i took it to vw to do a full vacuum flush and fill, £47 and they were was kind to valet the arosa!