Ashley 4 branch manifold - over fueling now

M7R

As mentioned.......the valve in the GTI back box is to control the noise levels but does increase flow at the same time for hight rpm which is about 5k when fully pushed open.

I am still trying to figure a way of jamming it open for the nice raspy noise at lower rpm without making the back box leak. May have to ope the back of the valve up....remove the spring and get it welded up again.

It als time that I just dont have at the moment.

How do you figure it can't be mapped, my Arosa was the one used by Ashley to make the 4-1 manifold.

My engine code is AUB & I've had mine remapped.

As far as problems your having what are they? How is the car responding to the valve being blocked, what's it making the car do? The only reason l ask is because my engine sometimes seem to start hunting for revs, it'll usually do it after I've been giving it some stick. It did it before it was mapped as it still has the habit of doing it now and again.

I got mine mapped after I fitted Schrick Cams (256), lightened flywheel, gas flowed head (did myself), reseated all the valves, BMC with my own Ram-Air system made up for it.

I'm not sure of the BHP but the car is pretty quick when you get the revs up high, the only thing I've really raced off the lights and there wasn't an inch in it to base it on was a MG ZS 2.5 V6, but there a heavy car compared to mine. I've pretty much stripped mine and fitted bucket seats.

As for future plans I'd like to fit a Gti engine, but I'd like to fit one which I can use my AUB head on it. Does anyone know which Gti engine will take the AUB head? Plus I'd like to try and fit Webers Carbs to the 1.6 just to see how much of a change it wounld be. Saves all the hassle of remapping again.

It was a live map where they do it by running it on the road, passenger has laptop plugged in reading what the car is doing.

It was going to go on the rollers afterwards but the mapping took a whole day. It was done by JBS, they had never mapped a sport before & didn't relies how long it would take because of the type of chip it had to use. I tried Awesome Gti but everytime I spoke to them about remapping they said they can't do it so I went with someone who could.

I would like it put on the rollers just to see what she's putting out. I'm not sure there are many places around Birmingham where I live that have rolling roads & will just do a power run. Plus I have no idea of costing for the power run.

Just had a little read on the net about what you were saying Bikerz, some pretty damming stuff. Not good for there rep but one thing you do have to remember is that once you start messing around with cars and start modding them they can get unpredictable and unreliable.

Plus I used to work in the bike trade for years and one thing for sure is that some customers can be complete tools, they think they know it all because a mate said or family member did. Don't get me wrong there's never smoke without fire but the internet warriors nowadays can ruin a business just out of blind ignorance and stupidity.

Its like I keep marine fish and sold my old set up to upgrade to my new one, the guy who turned up was nice but pretty uninformed. He was more interested in pointless figures (water volume, size, dose in,) much like a lot of people out there in many different interests, "think they know or believe they know" but experience out ways all that. So sometimes the internet is helpful if helping you make a decision but you have to read inbetween the lines and take much of what you read and hear with a pinch of salt.

That's just my opinion and my own internet rant, so don't take it as gossble.

Yeah agreed mate. However £30k build and it went bang within 200 miles after them having it? I know a few people used them personally and only thing I can say nice about them is they are a friendly bunch. lol

NFBR - I know the best would be to replace it, but its just been replaced and untill my brothers comp comes through from his crash back in Feb (not his fault... old guy passed out, hit him head on and smashed one ankle, fractured his heal, and his rist plus many other cuts, briuses and marks...ended up with 2 plates, 2 screws and about 10 pins to put his ankle back together) funds are tight for him, cleaning should prolong it untill the issue is fixed and then we will fit another new one.

Mike_M - the valve will increase flow a little... but it wont be smooth flow, so it wont really be adding any power the party as it were..

Whinney - The ecu cant be mapped via the port is what I have been toid UNLESS it is a bosch ECU, which this one isn't, I have been told the ecu could opened and old skool chiiped as it were, but thats a lot of hassle and cost for bugger all gain.

when the EGR is clogging it is dragging the idle down and causing lumpy running, I know its the egr as 1) the ecu has flagged the fault once, and 2) when its unplugged it clears up, but unplugging is not the answer)

(I wont start on power runs on dynos, all I say is dont count your horses... I could find you a load or lose you a load depending how cleaver the dyno is (a proper dyno that coasts down to work out the losses is on the 6 figures and need alot of investment as these are what i see at the vehicle manufactures... but anyways)

Back on track........do we recon then that getting the rear probe back in and spaced out of the gas stream will help clear things up so to speak.

Cooper are you saying ashley designed the manifold based on the port sizes, plenum volume, inlet length etc etc? for the price it is and the quality of the item i very much doubt it, the development costs wouldn't even be covered by the sale of the manifolds!

If you look at the Kam Racing one, that one was developed based on all the above figures, hence the price and the power/torque figures.

when we developed our manifold it was primarily to help improve the performance of my Lupo GTi track car as I plan to race it, being able to sell them afterwards is just a bonus.. The development costs for this are in excess of £10k due to the amount of time spent optimising every little detail to get every last bit of performance from the engine and I think the results speak for themselves.. I certainly was pleased with the results, so much in fact that I also paid for another one to be made up for my road car but this time with the 200 cell cat..

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/volkswagen/vw-lupo/exhaust/exhaust-manifold/vw-lupo-1-6-16v-gti-kam-racing-manifold-cat-pipe.html

M7R, yeah your right about the chip. What they did with mine was to drive the car with a laptop plugged in. Then remove the chip and put a new one in then drive it again with the alterations to see what gains they get. This was done 3 times & took all day. JBS said they wouldn't have done a map on my car if they new what hassle it was, I can't remember how much it was but I think it was around £280 with VAT. But from what I can gather that it was about £1000 worth of mapping time beens it took all bloody day.

Before I went to JBS to have mine done I tried Awesome Gti (they couldn't do it), tried Stealth Racing & they wanted about £550. So I went with JBS.

well I give up...he he now put her up for sale in piston heads etc and has said he wants a B5 Audi A4 for some reason...says he fallen out of love with the car, so I give up...