Pieface's open air S

pieface

Well thought i was about time I stuck a few pics up on here.

I bought this car recently and it's a great little run about. Its a 1999 1.4S with "Open Air" roof, and the majority of VW service history.

It has the usual car park dents, but all in all its a great little car.

DSCF0264.jpg

DSCF0266.jpg

DSCF0265.jpg

Had recent cam belt change, and service and has just done 132k

DSCF0267.jpg

Plans for this car, well I'm unsure. I think I should sell this and buy either a cheap 1.0 or 1.4 and stick in a GTi lump as I would like to use it as a track car, and with the open air roof, this one isn't really ideal.

So as for this one, I may just tidy it up, do a few subtle mods; polo rear wiper, wheels, maybe brakes too, and then sell it on.

I may just sell it on as it is, but I'm unsure as to how much its worth.

My S13 had done 132k before it died, and that was 1992! Still managed to do a few laps of the Núrburgring though, including 5 laps of the GP circuit back in march, and a 9:24 lap :D

looks cool!! what is it with the newer VW's not standing the test of time tho,

my mk3 gti 16v has 197k on the clock & has never missed a beat, most of it is the original factory items too as i have a FULL history with it, & its been serviced at the intervals at vw everytime, & things like cv joints, bushes, gearbox... everything is the original... mind you i am waiting for a big bang from a few parts & a expensive bill..... but so they should after that milage!

Original CV and bushes? I doubt it, and if they are I bet you would notice how much better car felt with some new ones!

Oh contrair my dear friend, having been around cars bikes lorries & general mechanics most of my life & having owned a shed load of vw's I know what they should drive like

Being the second owner & knowing the previous owner for a while I can assure you she is in tip top shape & was garaged most of her life, she drives beatiful & there is no need for changing of any bushes yet they are plenty supple!! in fact first thing i did was put it on a ramp & couldnt believe what i was seeing!! Just goes to show what careful ownership & general respect for a car can do to going towards making them last!! I am currently contemplating polybushing her.

I've never seen an open air lupo before are they really really rare... like white ones are?? I do actually really like it!!

Actually, it isn't. You get a little bit of road noise, but not much at all. And it keeps the heat in VERY well.

I will be selling it soon, as I'm wanting a Sport/GTi, so I'll need to fund that.

• 5 weeks later...

Bit of an update. Bought a Sport valance/lower bumper off MCBailey, so that is now fitted. Also decided to give the car a wash as it was filthy. Needs a proper valet, but heres how it looks at the moment;

IMAG0006.jpg

Am now after some wheels, and then may get it lowered. Also on the list to do when I get a spare 5 minutes are replace the rear wiper, get some areo wipers for the front, replace the broken side indicator, and remove the bumpstrips (once I've bought a fudge wheel). Will more than likely also "black out" the grillbadge.

I also need to get a O/S fog light for the bumper, and then I will wire them up.

Edited by pieface

• 4 months later...

Ok, small update.

It is now rolling about on 15x7 AEZ Parons in Mars red!!

Next on the shopping list are coilovers (desperately needed - it now looks like a rollerskate!), rear ARB, and I will probably remove the bump strips!

Anyone got any other suggestions for handling mods? It still has a HELL of a lot of body roll, would like it to corner without feeling like the car is about to tip over!

Will get some pics up soon.

Rear ARB, powerflex poly bushes & bump stops, though the coilies oughta sort most of your body roll issues tbf!

Will also be ordering a pair of Nangkang NS2's from Mytyres (£40 each!! BARGAIN) because the 2 on the rear have about an inch of tread missing on the inside.

• 1 month later...