MOT Fail

Basically, my MOT failed on Friday and I got the Cat changed due to emissions being the only fail. The Lambda was pretty much spot on, so that didnt get changed.

The car was then tested in the garage where I got the work done, and it was spot on, I was there and witnessed the readings. So today my car went in for the free re-test just on emissions at the MOT garage. The results were quite obismal. MY car still failed on emissions, and am getting slightly annoyed with my Lupo. On the way to college this morning, the bolt in the back of the new cat came out, so i went to the garage and he put a new one in super tight as he thought he did tighten the old one but obviously didn't.

Anyone got any ideas before my car goes to the garage for the day on friday?

Cheers

Get your self some emmision fluid from a motor factor and take the car for a "Fast drive" before you take it in

I have a sports cat on mine and it failed 4 times before i got it hot enough.. and it passed brilliantly

And as for your mechanic tightening it super tight why didnt he just use thread lock? Lol

How much did it fail by??

Maybe your engine temp sensor is gubbed so the car overfuels as it thinks the engine is cold all the time (cold start)

New one about £25

Haha I duno :lol: It failed on the actual test by pretty much double the limit on everything except the lambda :/ I don't think its the sensor as it worked and would have passed mot Monday night, then boom Tuesday it was dramatically increased emissions. I think the bolt coming out and me driving like a bit of a tit must have affected it!

I know you read my post about this but all I had to do was take the pipe off the air intake and the breather on the top left of the air box. Passed easliy then. I'll still looking for a proper solution to the problem though. When I do an oil change I'm going to give the engine a proper treatment flush.

Ask if you can spend a bit of time with the guy at the garage trying a few different things. Is the car easy to stall because mine was before I took the pipes off.

Not to hijack but how do you know if the temperature sensor is broken. On the temp guage mine reads a good ninty all the time and the fan kicks in. Is the engine temperature guagae on a different circuit

Yeah I did read your post and i did take the breather pipe off when the guy was running the MOT (Probably shouldn't have :lol: ) However i didnt take the air intake off. Yeah I will definitely spend some time with the guy at garage and seeing what he says. The sensor on the dash is the oil temperature, my brothers is broken on his polo and sometimes does not read, i'm guessing thats how you tell its broken :lol:

I thought the one on the dash was coolant, I read nothing and then replaced my thermostat and got the proper reading.

Just having a quick gander on ebay it looks like there are two shapes of sensor. It'd be good to know what systems on the engine could possibly lead to running rich.

I'd assume maybe EGR/Sensors/injectors, air meter if it had one (i don't think it does though)

God knows

the coolant temp sensor has two parts to it...

on shows the temp on the dash clocks and the other tells the ecu how hot the coolant is... so even if your dash shows correct temp... the car may still think its cold....

easy way to tell is idle speed, if the car idles high at 1100rpm, stinks of fuel and gets terrible mpg its likely the car thinks its cold... so with run on cold start all the time...

usually the thermostat either sticks open or closed, if its stuck open water will circulate through the rad constantly and your car probably wont heat up in winter

(grazzo22's problem)

Edited by Big Jase

When first started in the morning my car does idle at around 1100rpm. Normally after 5-10 mins of driving in the morning it will idle normally. Then for the rest of the day it will idle normally around 750rpm. Do you think this could the temp sensor or is this what you would expect? Cheers for your help Jase.

yes thats fine... that 1100rpm in the morning is perfectly normal, its just the car pumping up the revs / fuel so it doesnt stall until its warmed up...

when the sensor fails the car will idle at 1100rpm all day long / overfuel / stink of petrol

yes thats fine... that 1100rpm in the morning is perfectly normal, its just the car pumping up the revs / fuel so it doesnt stall until its warmed up...

when the sensor fails the car will idle at 1100rpm all day long / overfuel / stink of petrol

Okay cool thanks. Although my car does smell of petrol at times so i think it might be over fuelling. Although when Jabbles came in my car I was paranoid about the petrol smell, but apparently it doesnt :rolleyes:

Must just be me, but will see what goes on when I test the emissions again on Friday at the garage.

yay! great news, give me a bell if u want a hand with your coilies over the next few days, my bumper is on again, but needs a few days to harden before i can wet and dry it back to smooth, colour doesnt look too different so im still unsure, but satisfied for the time being.

taunton mini-meet soon!