Warranty question....advice needed!!!

`e-to`-`the-z`

Hi guys, long time no post (I only normally post when I'm having problems so I guess that's a good sign?!?)

Anyhoo, last November I reported a fault with my side lights to my VW stealer, and they told me they couldn't find a fault and to "bring it back if the light goes again and they'll sort it" (at the time the light went, a quick tap to the back of the fitting sorted it out, so a guess there's a connection fault somewhere.

Sods law, all's going well until last week when the light has gone again.

And guess what, my warranty expired in January!

So, what I want to know is, as I reported the fault last year and within my warranty, am I within my rights to demand the fault be fixed gratis or am I going to get stung in the usual fashion for any repair?

Thanks peeps!

I'm thinking you'll get stung - you probably shouldn't do, but I recon you're in for an argument otherwise sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Edit: otoh, you say your warranty expired last month? In which case your car is still probably within it's grace period - take it in asap and see what they say!!

yeah i would imagine cutomer services will pay for a sidelight to be fixed under goodwill. i mean wotever it is isnt gonan b 2 expensive and not worth getting u upset about

The only thing that worries me is that it's not as simple as just a bulb replacement....it sounds like there's a dodgy connection to the bulb somewhere....which I'm guessing means lot's of testing on there part. And seeing as they're useless buggers when they know exactly what the problem is, I don't hold out much hope if they have to do some investigating on my part!

yeah i would imagine cutomer services will pay for a sidelight to be fixed under goodwill. i mean wotever it is isnt gonan b 2 expensive and not worth getting u upset about

The only thing that worries me is that it's not as simple as just a bulb replacement....it sounds like there's a dodgy connection to the bulb somewhere....which I'm guessing means lot's of testing on there part. And seeing as they're useless buggers when they know exactly what the problem is, I don't hold out much hope if they have to do some investigating on my part!

yeah cos everyones a tech cos they do the odd mod to there car at a weekend

just pisses me off you come on any forum on the internet and people just slag of techs. a lot of you seem to think it is really the easiest job in the world and for some reason techs should be exempt from making mistakes

My derogotary feelings towards the VW staff at my local stealer is born from experience though! They are incompetant to say the least, hence the reason for this thread in the 1st place!

QUOTE(danny842003)
yes but are these people at ur vw friendly garage over booked by 20 hours every day?  

Do they have to constantly drop everything to take a 'quick look at this cutomers car'

This is the thing - if people go to VW for something to be done, they expect it to be done better than it would be down the road at a friendly garage, yet in fact it's the complete opposite. The fact that the people that work at VW are in this situation makes them look bad, and makes it look like they don't know what they're doing.

and as for price there is very little profit in a dealership in comparison with the turnover.

I know this very well, VW insist on having the big glass showrooms with rediculous rent/rate costs, and having this/having that, which quite often brings some dealerships in to insolvency. This doesn't change the fact that it's the customer that pays for it in the end though!

At the end of the thread, the message is the same - whatever the reason you cant trust all VW dealers to give very good service (whether thats through lack of training, lack of funding or lack of time).

And the profitability thing - depends where you are I guess, my dealer seems to be doing OK! As for the buildings, thats VW/Audis doing - if you want the franchise you need to buy a building from them.

QUOTE(danny842003)
u try to talk to some people but there (sic) heads seem to be dead.

I assume you mean me.

The dealership I go to is underhanded and shifty, and they charge more than they should.

This may well be to fund their lease, or to help them break even, but it does not mean that they are being honest.

Can I be any clearer?

QUOTE(danny842003)
how much would a plumber or a spark chrage for 2 hours work. taking in to consideration they have virtually no overheads unlike a dealership.

Depending where you are in the country.

Round here around £40 per hour is about right.

We charge £35 per hour for for our service man.

Our Service men get £16 per hour, but are more highly trained than a dealership 'what does Elsa tell ya to do' fitter.

£400 for a 40k service is a rip off.

We only charge £220 for a 80k Cam belt change service on a LT35.

How can they justify £400?

Thats 6 hours labour + excessive parts.

They charge £50 per hour if you wasn't aware.

And just to add, I stood over the fitter at my local stealer dureing my 30k service.

It took him 25 mins.

Could have been quicker, but it took 5 mins to get up my car on the ramp.

Oh yes.

That cost me over £80 :shock: