clutch cable replacement

danoid

hi all,

when changing gears it sounds stiff and sometimes crunches. I've heard it could be the pedal box, but no idea what im looking for and what I do see looks fine.

So I thought about replacing the cable to start with, as VW adjusted it once and everything felt brand new, then a month or so later its gone to feeling like arse again.

Has anyone changed the clutch cable, is it easy? any points I should know first, any pics if possible. Or is there any haynes that I could follow (polo haynes)?

Cheers

Hi,

Here, you have some documentation for 1.7sdi, and here is a DIY made by me, is in romanian language but if you register, you can see the pictures which I posted.

For translate try Google language tools.

If you need I'll try to translate some paragraph.

Sorry for my english.

Edited by lupo 1.7sdi

Changing the clutch cable isn't a difficult job. Mine snapped in a car park and managed to change it in the car park with no great difficulty. I do doubt it is the clutch cable causing you problems though. There are a few things that it could be. 1st as you said it could be the pedal box with what you said "VW adjusted it once and everything felt brand new" implies it could well be the pedal box. Check whether the brake and the clutch pedal sit at the same height. Also check your service history to see if it has been previously changed as once it has been changed it "should" not break again. I had some problems with my gear box about 8 months ago. I looked through my service history found that the pedal box had been changed for the newer stronger type. So I was a bit stumped it had symptoms of grinding in to reverse it got so bad I was having to switch the engine off and on again to select reverse. Clutch was unbearably stiff I had an iron left leg after operating for a long drive. So I got the gearbox off turned out that there is a sleeve that is bolted on the the gearbox housing that fits over the input shaft of the gearbox this sleeve is what the release bearing slides up and down on to engage disengage clutch. Basically the sleeve snaps and means the clutch cannot engage disengage correctly which is why it is difficult to select gears. Also could be that some aspects of the gearbox are wearing out.

EDIT: Get ELSA win off ebay its pretty good if you want to take things to pieces.

Edited by Brammo