My gti brakes are S**t!!!

Dare

Not strictly a fair comparison but the 1.8T Lupo started with GTi brakes (256mm) as part of its conversion by JBS and they blued up in no time at all.. Seriously overworked on the car so had to be replaced. (305mm Brembo `4-pots` now which make it do standos). Downside is wheel size req'd to clear them. 16" diameter minimum.. Want to go back down to 15" rims but retain big brakes so may dig out my old `4-pot` Wilwood's and 310x32 disks/bells.

DS2500 pads seem to work well as a pad upgrade.. maybe worth considering as an interim for your std disks

if you do down size will you be lookin to sell your current set up at all???

on the whole brakin thing i over cooked mine on combe once.. did 4 laps with no pedal at all. but on the road i've never had a problem at all infact i can't say a bad word against them other than once the fronts and rears locked up tryin to stop on wet leaves goin round a corner way too fast and seein temporary lights infront of me. still stopped in time tho.

A decent relatively cheap upgrade must be to go 280mm discs with some good pads. Plenty of people run this set up on Golf 16V's, which are a similar weight to a GTI Loop and it works very well. Gonna do this once my discs are shot.

@dare, sounds like your pads are probably a bit glazed or your disks are rusty. try taking it to a jet wash and using the pressure washer up close to try and wash out anything stuck to the pads which can sometimes help.

on the whole brakin thing i over cooked mine on combe once.. did 4 laps with no pedal at all. but on the road i've never had a problem at all infact i can't say a bad word against them other than once the fronts and rears locked up tryin to stop on wet leaves goin round a corner way too fast and seein temporary lights infront of me. still stopped in time tho.

They may be available yes.. but I dont know when. Depends on Wilwoods and 15" wheel availability (waiting some big brake friendly wheels)

256mm is mighty small. Pads would go some ways to helping as would 280's as a bolt on (G60 spec)

QUOTE(badger5)

They may be available yes.. but I dont know when.

if so let me know as i may have them off you.... if not tho any chance you could tell me where the hell i can get 4 pots and decent discs from that'll go straight on.... you'd be a star. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i've totally forgot about brakes when i started havin the conversion done.. now it's nearly done i really need to get some.

QUOTE(Red Lup Gti)
bill, u get disc's and bell's made up or are the discs just one piece?

Std kit is one piece disks.. (as used by a certian rapid 1.8T Lupo in the VW Cup..)

2 piece are available (nearly) and have been done on trial late last year on an Ibiza Cupra. AP disks. not cheap.

Grooved one piece disks also available (plated)

QUOTE(badger5)

They may be available yes.. but I dont know when.

if so let me know as i may have them off you.... if not tho any chance you could tell me where the hell i can get 4 pots and decent discs from that'll go straight on.... you'd be a star. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i've totally forgot about brakes when i started havin the conversion done.. now it's nearly done i really need to get some.

What size wheels do you want to keep your brakes under? This is your biggest factor.

whats involved in running the 280 discs? - is it just a straight swap with no other messing about or do the calipers have to be moved to allow for the bigger disc? I take it this is just for the front discs - nothing that can be done with the rears?

I think Ill do this with some pagid pads when mine die.

QUOTE(DanGTI)
whats involved in running the 280 discs? - is it just a straight swap with no other messing about or do the calipers have to be moved to allow for the bigger disc? I take it this is just for the front discs - nothing that can be done with the rears?

Not fitted 280's, but brembo's typically replace 280's straight fit, and brembo's did straight fit so 280's should..

(hope that made sense)

the brembo's did need the bottom ball joint grinding a bit to clear the back of the disk on Jans tho. otherwise, straight on.

QUOTE(DanGTI)

I did 280mm on friday. all you needis carriers and disks. the carriers arethe hard part cos' nobody will sell you them on their own. After painting the carriers it took me about an hour to do.

The brakes are more progressive and don't need as much effort. The disks i have are grooved so are a bit noisier. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Update!

Right, i took into VW and after being patronised and me explaining (in a ****ty tone) that i know how abs works thanks!! to some jumped up manager, i explained that you (vw) have already said that the brakes and discs are fine,and that either the fluid needs changing or the wheels need aligning (Thanks Snoop). I went on to say that ive had the car five minutes and due to previous problems ive hardly driven the car since buying it off them (not that true). And that if they dont sort it they will be speaking to my solicitor!!! He then dropped the condescending tone and booked me in straight away!

@Crusoe Cheers dude, ill give that a try and im also gonna look into some new pads.