GTI spin!!

Ty

Afternoon every1, Just a quick post to say i wos having a little race last nite with my mate who also has a gti. He wos in front of me as we entered a roundabout lucky i backed off abit 2 give myself a bit of room, and he spun off the roundabout lucky he missed hitting anything as the exit of the roundabout is fairly big! must of spun round 3 times and ended up facing the rite way bak on the road. Dont ask me how he got away wit it very lucky man!! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

still have to be doing something silly to spin a gti no matter what tyres it's on. probably lifted off or braked when he was already over comitted and then pannicked rather than hitting the accelerator to pull it out.

QUOTE(Ty)
Afternoon every1, Just a quick post to say i wos having a little race last nite with my mate who also has a gti. He wos in front of me as we entered a roundabout lucky i backed off abit 2 give myself a bit of room, and he spun off the roundabout lucky he missed hitting anything as the exit of the roundabout is fairly big! must of spun round a couple of times and ended up facing the rite way bak on the road. Dont ask me how he got away wit it very lucky man!!  :)

Might argue it was his own fault then wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Back tyres should always have the same or less amount of wear. Sounds like he was lucky to get away with it, hope he takes more care next time. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Yeah, lifting off or worse, braking on a corner is a `no-no` - back end really steps out, and if you don't know how to catch it...

Anyway, he and the car are both OK, which is the main thing smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Yer he's alrite as u say that is the main thing! it wos his own fault tho he's done it a couple of times now! last time he broke the wishbone some ppl never learn lol!

it wos his own fault tho he's done it a couple of times now!
No offence intended but it sounds like hes simply a crap driver! Generally if you lose it like that, you tend to remember it and learn from it, Therefore not doing it again or knowing how to handle the situation if it does.

QUOTE(Ty)
Yer and he swapped his tyres around put the worn fronts on the back and they have got little tread left!

I don't think this is a good idea as its easier on a fwd car to control loss of grip on the front wheels rather than loosing grip on the back wheels, this is prob why he spun! Learned this the hard way a few times!

Yeah, I spun my old Polo in a similar situation - front and rear tyres both had loads of tread, but the front tyres were a different make, and were significantly grippier in the rain. First roundabout I went round on the limit, back end just let go suddenly and I ended up facing the way I came.

I got two new back tyres the following day smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Also worth keeping an eye on the tyre pressures regularly too, as that can affect front/rear grip balance.

yer it wos really weird tbh it werent damp or wet either. But the road surface does change slightly through the roundabout but still shouldnt have caused him to spin! talkin 2 him today he's just had major work done on the front end didnt get into detail wot he had done but he sed alot wos done under warranty maybe sumthin went wrong there possibly! but i think it wos driver error as ive sed!

the dunlops are scary mother f*ckers....went into a roundabout on my route home from work, damp road about 25/30mph, turned in, flew round the blasted out of it.....next day exactly the same except oh crap im suddenly understeering towards the kerb on the far side....then suddenly the back ends all out, the car is now sideways and im nearly facing the roundabout and im spinning the wheel to `re-gain` control. pulled out of it......just....heart pounding.

*****. absolute *****.

While I agree that the standard tyres are a bit ****, I fail to see how many people are spinning all over the place in these cars, its a fwd hatch for fooks sake, you surely have to be doing something pretty reckless on the public roads to be in these sorts of positions. Maybe I'm not trying enough eh.