Had a second opinion, help anyone??

As some of you already know, I bought my Lupo GTI around 3 weeks ago. Since driving it away, the steering has been pulling to the left hand side, initially, I thought it was the tracking until a garage had a look and said I need a front subframe, as mine was bent!

I took it to another garage today to get a second opinion (before buying a subframe) and according to them, the subframe is fine, but the Near Side Front Stub Axle is bent, which is forcing my wheel out of alignment. The problem I had with trying to find a suitable subframe in the first place, was that it was unique to the Lupo GTI, hence why I was waiting until I found one that was breaking for spares.

My question is, as I now need a replacement stub axle instead, can these be sourced to fit onto the GTI from any Lupo that is breaking for spares, or does it still have to be GTI specific????

Thanks all. B)

I'm pretty sure it has to be a gti one, could be wrong tho. :D

Hey buddy . . . :P

I hope your wrong, I had enough of a battle trying to find a GTI Subframe! :(

Just realised that I've posted this in the wrong section of the forum, please feel free to move/adjust post mods!

Cheers. :)

indeed, stub axles are on the rear, do you mean your hub is bent? if so i think there will be a lot more bent than the hub as they are pretty substancial, my first port of call would be the rear wishbone bushes.

I give up! :(

I took it to a reputable garage and they gave me a print out stating that I need a nsf stub axle . . . that's all I know! He showed me underneath, but I don't really know what I'm looking at!

I give up! :(

I took it to a reputable garage and they gave me a print out stating that I need a nsf stub axle . . . that's all I know! He showed me underneath, but I don't really know what I'm looking at!

I think the mechanic mentioned that it's the section that holds the disk, caliper, etc onto the frame . . . he said the subframe itself looked fine, but when he compared the nearside to the offside, there was a definite difference in spacing between the bottom of the shock and the arm. He could get his fingers between the space on the offside, but couldn't on the nearside. He said this could only really be caused by the front nearside stub axle being bent, he even said it looked bent!

When you look at the wheel itself, it looks completely out, so there's something wrong somewhere.

I know a lot about some things . . . but when it comes to how cars work, I am utterly hopless most of the time! :(

Any further help would be appreciated guys, I need to get this sorted asap and it's shredding my front tyre to bits with it being so out! I don't want to go ahead and buy a part that I don't need obviously.

Cheers folks.

Edited by brabus4

The plot thickens! . . .

Took the car to yet another garage today to get a third opinion (thought one would have been enough), and according to the mechanic . . . nothing is wrong with it! Yey, it must all be in my imagination then. :angry2:

After I snapped and forced him to take another look, he then came to the conclusion that I need the following . . .

* A front nearside Vertical Link

* Flange

* Bearing kit

All of which they can do for the bargain price of just £532 inc Labour! :o

I'm fed up with this now, I just want to know for definate what is wrong.

Can anyone recommend a mechanic in the Tyne and Wear/Northumberland area (anywhere in the North East) that could take a look at this, give me an idea what needs to be fixed so I can then go and find the parts?

Also, if I do need the parts mentioned above, do they too have to be unique to the GTI model, or could I source them from a non GTI Lupo that is breaking for spares?

Once again folks, all your help would be appreciated.

Andy.

Parts are unique.

Didn't realise you were only in Bedlington.

Errrrm, take it to Veedubs on the bill quay in Gateshead.

Aye, there seems to be loads of us up this way.

I'll give Veedubs a call tomorrow . . .

Aye, there seems to be loads of us up this way.

I'll give Veedubs a call tomorrow . . .

Took it to Veebubs in Gateshead, but my journey was a waste of time, they had no time to look at the car after telling me to pop down . . . they said it was probably a damaged hub, without even looking!

I then took it to Halfords Autocentre who gave me the term, 'Caster Camber' . . . and that was it! 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Halfords sent me onto a place in South Shields called AMC who looked and said they couldn't do anything until they had a proper look, which would cost me £30 per hour, after saying it shouldn't cost anything! They literally went through a list of things it could be, but I ain't paying £30 per hour to have someone tell me yet another pile of s**t!!!!

Wish I'd never bought the damn thing now. It's a great car apart from this steering issue, just wish I could find out once and for all what the problem is, what part I need (if any) and how much it's gonna cost. Otherwise, I'll be selling up, which I don't want to do.

Again, if anyone knows of anywhere that could look at it and give me an honest opinion and possible prices on parts, etc, it would be appreciated.

Andy.

Took it to Veebubs in Gateshead, but my journey was a waste of time, they had no time to look at the car after telling me to pop down . . . they said it was probably a damaged hub, without even looking!

I then took it to Halfords Autocentre who gave me the term, 'Caster Camber' . . . and that was it! 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Halfords sent me onto a place in South Shields called AMC who looked and said they couldn't do anything until they had a proper look, which would cost me £30 per hour, after saying it shouldn't cost anything! They literally went through a list of things it could be, but I ain't paying £30 per hour to have someone tell me yet another pile of s**t!!!!

Wish I'd never bought the damn thing now. It's a great car apart from this steering issue, just wish I could find out once and for all what the problem is, what part I need (if any) and how much it's gonna cost. Otherwise, I'll be selling up, which I don't want to do.

Again, if anyone knows of anywhere that could look at it and give me an honest opinion and possible prices on parts, etc, it would be appreciated.

Andy.

I live in Sunderland and have a Diagnostics reader.. could maybe help you find out the juddering problem? Can't promise but i will have a look for you. I've sold my lupo gti. I have some spare spark plugs and leads, think i have a coil module too that you can have for nout mate! Text me - 07983540047 - Andrew

Vag com isn't going to tell you what the problem is, it's mechanical, not electrical. There's no sensors to tell you it's a knackered hub.

If everywhere is saying it's a knackered hub, just find another one and replace it. There's always someone somewhere with a spare lupo GTI hub kicking about. Press a new bearing in and just shift everything over.

If you want to check to make sure, just jack the side of the car up, hold the tyre and 12 and 6 and push it back and forth, wobble it about a bit and spin it, if there's a problem you'll feel/hear it.

If there's any abnormal movement, you'll have to do the hub. Pain in the arse but it's quite easy to do when you get into it.

That's very kind of you Andrew, I'll text you tomorrow mate - I'll give you a shout tomorrow too Rich, had the day from hell today!

Only one place said it might be the hub, but everyone else said there's no chance it could be . . . wish I was a bit more clued up to be fair. A garage already done the 6 and 12 thing with the wheel, no movement or noise. Wish it was as simple as that, then I'd know what to do to fix it at least! :(

Thing is, it doesn't help that there aren't any flippin GTI's breaking for spares in the country, I've looked everywhere, so I'm probably going to have to buy new parts! I'll give Lupoboz a shout if and when I find out what I need.

Theres a Lupo on Ebay with front damage, it's a CAT C, but he's not willing to strip it. :angry:

Places I've had it looked at in order . . .

1. Silverlink North Eastern Tyres and Exhausts (for tracking - on day of purchase) - they claimed the subframe was bent!

2. Morpeth North Eastern Tyres and Exhausts - they said it was a bent N/S front Stub Axle!

3. Lion Garage in Bedlington - they said nothing was wrong, then changed their minds and said I need a Flange, Bearing Kit and Vertical Link which would cost over £530!

4. Veedubs in Gateshead - didn't look at the car, just said it sounds like a hub! Cheers. :huh:

5. Halfords Autocentre - said it was either Caster Camber or it may need jigged which could cost £1000 . . .

6. AMC in South Shields - they said it could be anything, they were holding out for their £30 per hour if you ask me. They came up with various things it could be, including a dodgy track rod. Thing is though, Lion garages in Bedlington confirmed the track rod was spot on!

All I wanted was a second opinion before ordering parts through Lupoboz . . . instead what I got was a headache! :(

What about just going with the original plan and getting the camber and tracking sorted, least if they can't do it they'll tell you what's up.

Try revolution?

Vag com isn't going to tell you what the problem is, it's mechanical, not electrical. There's no sensors to tell you it's a knackered hub.

If everywhere is saying it's a knackered hub, just find another one and replace it. There's always someone somewhere with a spare lupo GTI hub kicking about. Press a new bearing in and just shift everything over.

If you want to check to make sure, just jack the side of the car up, hold the tyre and 12 and 6 and push it back and forth, wobble it about a bit and spin it, if there's a problem you'll feel/hear it.

If there's any abnormal movement, you'll have to do the hub. Pain in the arse but it's quite easy to do when you get into it.

Yes. I am fully aware of that.... He has a engine management light on and his car judders when pulling off. So this i can help with. I have plugs, leads and a coil module that he can have and also i can see what the fault is with my Laptop. P.s. Revolution are ****...

Thanks - Andrew

Hey all . . .

don't want to carry this topic on much further as no doubt your all bored of hearing about my dodgy front wheel ( I know I am), but I finally got it in today at VW to have it looked at by the service manager as a favour from a friend.

He spent around 15 minutes looking underneath and confirmed that it is indeed the front N/S Hub that is bent (metal section where the track rod, caliper, arm, etc, bolts onto). Looks like it has hit a Kerb at some point according to him, probably during the recent snowy conditions!

I asked him about parts and according to him, the hub shouldn't be a problem to get ahold of. He said I should be able to get a used one from a scrappy (he mentioned Veedubs) and said it shouldn't necessarily be GTI specific. He did say/agree with comments on here however that pretty much everything else on the car is GTI specific, this is where it can cost a fortune!

Has anyone ever changed their Hub and if so, can you take one from a 1.4 for example and bolt it straight on?

Cheers.

Andy.

Its quite easy to spot a bent hub, generally with them getting quite dirty / rusty, all you've gotta do is look and if its bent theres usually a very slight crease mark, or a flaked line where the actual bend is...

I've changed the front hub on my lupo due to it being bent and pulling to the left after a curb smash, I replaced it with a Polo GTI hub which i think is the same VW part anyhow. I also had to change the droplink too..

I think the hubs you can use are.

1.4tdi, Lupo sport, Lupo Gti, Polo Gti, and Possibly 1.4 16v Polo valver ( don't quote me on this one though).

as i mentioned the hub earlier because i have seen a bent one, you can use all the above , 1.4, s , e and 1.0 cars are different so stay clear of those and you should be ok.