Cannot fit ATS Classics back on after new brake pad fitment?

DarkStryder360

They fitted the pads for me and now the 5mm spacer doesn't work or the bolts because they say the new pads are pushing the caliper out more??

I have never seen this issue on Club Lupo before? They said I will have to get new wheels =S

They're telling me I need to get longer bolts?

I'd think they are talking out of their arse!

The increased pad size will have moved the caliper further out on the slides than they used to be which is causing the bolts which are poking through the hub to foul on the caliper.

The increased pad size will have moved the caliper further out on the slides than they used to be which is causing the bolts which are poking through the hub to foul on the caliper.

I asked them again and they said, that basically, so

I need a larger spacer, extra 3 mm, so 10mm total?

Now with the old brake pads on they proper feel like crap, this just because of the refit should they feel lousy?

Why did they say you need longer bolts to start with?

huh.gif

Don't know maybe just forgot to mention spacers as I would need longer bolts if I get a larger spacer..

Any ideas on the poor brakes? As the whole thing was just an advisory.

I wouldn't have thought the bolts going through the hub would cause a problem as caliper shouldn't be anywhere near where the bolts come out the other side, will just be the calipers coming out further an engineering place should be able to make you comething up to clear the extra couple of mm for not too much coin

May need bleeding

Again, don't even know how I would go about that. Yay!

Happened with my ultralites when i changed my pads! I had to get the file out and have a bit of a go on the caliper with it, smoothed it down a few mm as thats all it was catching, soon sorted it!

HAHA they even said, you can file down the caliper, but we wouldnt recommend hacking away at the brakes. Did you crash and die after you filed them down? Surely cant be all that safe :lol:

I wouldn't have thought the bolts going through the hub would cause a problem as caliper shouldn't be anywhere near where the bolts come out the other side, will just be the calipers coming out further an engineering place should be able to make you comething up to clear the extra couple of mm for not too much coin

I get that now yeh, so annoying that its just a few millimetres!!

Also, mother thought it would be a good idea to look for spacers for me while I was slaving away at work. She managed to find the most expensive ones?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-LUPO-BIMECC-HUBCENTRIC-WHEEL-SPACER-KIT-10MM-/290472934586?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item43a1893cba#ht_3348wt_1139

Genuine VW Lupo spacers. I can't understand how they're genuine :wacko:

Edited by DarkStryder360

I think i may have some spare spacers you can borrow dude, i'll have a quick check tonight and give you a pm. My brakes have gone as well so got to sort that out tomorrow as well :wacko: .

Cool man, what size you got? I have 5mm already. Although I will need longer bolts as well FML!

Those spacers don't seam so expensive to say you get bolts too so are saving money in that respect and they are hubcentric which arnt cheep as it is lol good luck

Those spacers don't seam so expensive to say you get bolts too so are saving money in that respect and they are hubcentric which arnt cheep as it is lol good luck

So would you recommend them then or just get some cheaper ones? Because I don't see what's so special about the spacer, apart from its lip around the middle.

Also, Radius, or seated. Which is better?

No because i was only shaving a few mm off the outside of the actual caliper (the bit that people paint different colours)... which is only solid metal anyways.

Thats a fair point, shaving off the "painted" layer. Although that seems like a lot of effort, plus I could have some mad crazy insane 5mm extra poke :lol:

Had the same problem with my polo, so got 10mm spacers and problem sorted

Really, ideal!.. Did you fork out for longer bolts too?

I'm guessing the spacers you currently have is just a flat 5mm spacer ?

The centre bore of the wheel takes nearly all the wheel load. Hence why hubcentric spacers are the most sensible choice.

Have longer bolts and a non hub centric spacer is pretty much the same as spacing your wheels with longer bolts and washers.

This puts the load onto the bolts admittedly each bolt could probably hold at least a ton of pressure each :lol:.

I just remember being a passenger in a nice low mileage Nugget yellow Corrado with 10mm non hub-centric spacers fitted on the front wheels,

Bombing about through B roads on the way to Woolacombe we lost a wheel in hard cornering which was thankfully (in a way) caught in the wing and ended up in a hedge :lol:

I'm guessing the spacers you currently have is just a flat 5mm spacer ?

The centre bore of the wheel takes nearly all the wheel load. Hence why hubcentric spacers are the most sensible choice.

Have longer bolts and a non hub centric spacer is pretty much the same as spacing your wheels with longer bolts and washers.

This puts the load onto the bolts admittedly each bolt could probably hold at least a ton of pressure each :lol:.

I just remember being a passenger in a nice low mileage Nugget yellow Corrado with 10mm non hub-centric spacers fitted on the front wheels,

Bombing about through B roads on the way to Woolacombe we lost a wheel in hard cornering which was thankfully (in a way) caught in the wing and ended up in a hedge :lol:

Yeh thats good to know as my passenger front wheel fell off the other week, in the icy snow, which was a tremendous delight. Was left with 1 bolt and 3 missing.

Yeh I have..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIR-WHEEL-SPACERS-4-5-HOLE-FIXING-RX1009-5mm-/370477237875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item56422a0673#ht_669wt_905

Those at the moment. Takes about an hour to line the wheel back up with the right bloody hole.

Think I understand what you mean now, as if the wheel comes out more, it will be even less sat on the original wheel bore, and those Hubcentrics will support the wheel weight with its lip in the middle, therefore, making the wheel less of a deathtrap?

If so... Imma buy these right now :lol:

Edited by DarkStryder360

You got it exactly right :D

I'd imagine the non centric spacers are probably fine if you keep check on the tightness of your nuts(:lol:)

Being low is enough to deal with what with pot holes, road camber, cats eyes, bump steer, excessive wheel camber etc etc

If you can eliminate one more problem and fail point then it def makes sense to do it.

over time with a set of Hubcentric spacers you will get your moneys worth as they can happily travel from car to car with you

Ideals! Will order these in a bizzle. Get my car low again, and without shoddy brakes! :wacko:

I have been constantly checking the tightness since then mind!

Havent had an issue with Cats Eyes yet. Bit disappointed, maybe rear camber will sort that out. :lol:

Cheers for the advice. Final thing about the advert:

(PLEASE STATE CONE OR RADIUS SEATED BOLTS REQUIRED)

Does it matter?