Installing a boot popper

How do you install a boot popper?

I get that i will need a solenoid to open the boot but how would i power that?

could i use the rear wiper power supply? and use the washer jet button?

could i just wire to a 12v power supply (cigarette lighter?) and put a switch in it? what about fuse?

when the solenoid unlocks the boot, does the boot open a bit so i can open it with my fingers? or do i need something to push it open?

whose done it and what did you do?

All help appreciated :)

Edited by marcusgrant

How do you install a boot popper?

I get that i will need a solenoid to open the boot but how would i power that?

could i use the rear wiper power supply? and use the washer jet button?

could i just wire to a 12v power supply (cigarette lighter?) and put a switch in it? what about fuse?

when the solenoid unlocks the boot, does the boot open a bit so i can open it with my fingers? or do i need something to push it open?

whose done it and what did you do?

All help appreciated :)

I wouldn't wire it through the rear wiper power.

Better to just run a new wire from the battery with a switch somewhere hidden in the dash switches.

why not off the rear wiper jamie?

is there any difference from taking the power from the battery or the cigarette lighter?

will i need a fuse?...like on an amp power cable?

wish i knew something about electronics!

Because believe it or not the rear wiper switch is wired directly into the clocks... If it was to short out or the solenoid was to overheat, You could potentially destroy the ECU.

Because believe it or not the rear wiper switch is wired directly into the clocks... If it was to short out or the solenoid was to overheat, You could potentially destroy the ECU.

ok so i wont be wiring it to the rear wiper

• 2 weeks later...

Right, i really need to know if its ok to take the power for a boot popper from the cigarette lighter? The popper is 12v, which the cigarette lighter is, BUT i know nothing about this sort of stuff and worried it could draw too much power? Just need to know if its safe and will work.

Rather not go to the battery as it just more cabling in the bay

just run it direct from your battery its simple instead of messing around with the cigarette lighter

its simple OEM switch or one supplied in kit run electricityy etc push but your away put fuse in line

but to be honest i bet the popper wont have enough kick to open the boot and probly wont even get it off its latch or i might be wrong

just run it direct from your battery its simple instead of messing around with the cigarette lighter

its simple OEM switch or one supplied in kit run electricityy etc push but your away put fuse in line

but to be honest i bet the popper wont have enough kick to open the boot and probly wont even get it off its latch or i might be wrong

but if i dont have to run it from the battery then i wont. It will be much neater if i can run it from the cigarette lighter...just need to know if its ok to do so?

i dont understand the middle line of text your wrote? Its a kit i've bought to install.

Hopefully the popper will be strong enough to get it off its lock, only one way to fine out!

On my old sport I had one but the body shop just found the first live under the steering rack and then wondered why my ecu light came on, think i re wired it to the brake pedal live if I remember right

Oh and I put some little sticky pads that u put on the bottum of furnature when u have laminate floor on top of the bungs which push your boot out to give it more of a push as the hinge released