Saxo VTR or Lupo TDI

HaZz

First of all, i know this is a stupid question to put on a Lupo forum, however i know you guys will still be honest.

At the moment i have a 2002 Saxo VTR on 70k, i have owned it for about 9 months now and payed £1900 for it, in the garage i have spent over £1000 on it. I have finally got everything sorted on it and got a fresh MOT today.

A friend of a friend is now looking to sell her 2001 Lupo TDI on 130k for around £1200, i have to decide if i should sell my saxo and take the gamble that it will keep breaking and to get the lupo to replace it which won't give me any hastle, or i take the gamble that the saxo will be fine and i should put up with it allowing me to start saving for another car in a year or 2.

What would you guys do?

I know the lupo is the better built car obviously and i do have a real soft spot for them, and spend my time looking through this forum, i don't even touch the saxo forum. But is it the better car when it has 60k more miles on the clock ?

Edited by HaZz

That's a tough one isnt it. I'd only swap if the Lupo has had all of it's expensive bits replaced so that you won't have to any time soon after dishing out all of that cash on your current car. How well do you know the current Lupo owner? Have they looked after it? Have they thrashed it from cold to within an inch of it's life? If so I'd probably keep the Saxo to be honest (and, with no offence intended, I hate saxo's with a passion).

A lot of people will tell you to swap and that german cars don't go wrong. But the truth of it is, that sometimes they do. Could you afford to fix the Lupo if it does have a problem? Would it be worth buying it and then looking at a warranty for it? Might be hard due to it's mileage. I dunno. A very hard decision there, especially if you love the car that you've got. Have you test driven a TDi? You might not like going from petrol to diesel as lots of people don't. Although, in saying that, lots of people do. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

It is a tricky one indeed, i don't know the owner at all but, the friend who told me she is selling is a very good friend and has a good knowledge of cars! He says she doesn't thrash cars about at all and drives well. ( no offence taken, saxo's are fun to drive but they are indeed awful cars! I think maybe once i find out about the history and given it a test drive i will be able to make a clearer judgement.

Thanks for the quick reply though!

anyone else got a thought?

Hmmm, not sure what I wold do here tbh! As you say, it will depend on how you feel about it on the test drive. I love Saxos/106, lots of fun and easy to fix when they inevitably break. Im not a fan of small city cars with diesel engines, however the lupo will be a lot more reliable (I think the TDI is the most reliable out of the all actually!) and be a nicer place inside.

If you use the car purely for plodding to work and back, I would have the Lupo, if you drive for fun, stay with the saxo

I went from my 106 gti to my 1.4 lupo, the only thing i miss is the power which can be sorted one way or another.

Edit. also a saxo is lot easier to work on and cheaper to repair in many cases, can get a replacement engine and gearbox for sub £300

Edited by Bickerton

Well to be fare, i don't really use the power my saxo has, i got caught speeding a few months back so iv literally just been driving speed limit since, i only use the power when i'm overtaking, plus by the sounds of things, a remap would get it to a similar level of power so that isn't even a worry for me, at the moment i think its literally just money, the lupo will obviously save me on tax, insurance and fuel but it's the whole gamble of if the miles the lupo has done is going to effect the car resulting in me spending money on it just like my saxo...

Well, hopefully i will get around £1500-£1800 for my saxo if i sold it, so if i got the lupo for like £1100-£1200 i would have some spare cash for repairs.

You won't get a Lupo TDi for that money, but a Lupo TDi with a remap is as quick as a Saxo VTR, easily. You might get an Arosa TDi for about 2k, MAYBE..

i thought the dodgy pedalbox and gearbox problem didnt happen in tdis and gtis?

It doesn't. Only the 1.0/1.4 petrols.

this is what i thought but i promise you she said to my mate £1100 but it needs a new tyre and a new cv boot. then when my mate asked again she said she would just check the price with her boyfriend and get back to us when she knows! so im just waiting! i think she may put the price up a bit though but i will see what she wants :)

you know more about the history on your car and having replaced everything if you drive sensibly it will be reliable... mostly :P

the lupo has a lot of mileage, I'm not saying the engine can't take it if maintained well but the turbo and clutch would worry me, as well as all moving parts of the car having done 130k... near double yours

german cars are better than french but they're not really more reliable than anything else, check the warranty database claims

tough call!

fancy a change of car?

this is what i thought but i promise you she said to my mate £1100 but it needs a new tyre and a new cv boot. then when my mate asked again she said she would just check the price with her boyfriend and get back to us when she knows! so im just waiting! i think she may put the price up a bit though but i will see what she wants :)

If that's the case go get 1100 quid and shove it in her hand!

you know more about the history on your car and having replaced everything if you drive sensibly it will be reliable... mostly :P

the lupo has a lot of mileage, I'm not saying the engine can't take it if maintained well but the turbo and clutch would worry me, as well as all moving parts of the car having done 130k... near double yours

german cars are better than french but they're not really more reliable than anything else, check the warranty database claims

tough call!

fancy a change of car?

This is my thoughts exactly! But to be honest, i do fancy a change, mostly just the fact i do around 250 miles a week, i would prefer a car that was comfy and generally nice to be in. But like you say, it could prove to be expensive as well.

If that's the case go get 1100 quid and shove it in her hand!

I just spoke to her, she said she is going to discuss a price with her partner and get back to me, hopefully she will stick to £1100 if not only a little bit more :) we will see

You won't get a Lupo TDi for that money, but a Lupo TDi with a remap is as quick as a Saxo VTR, easily. You might get an Arosa TDi for about 2k, MAYBE..

I got my Lupo TDi, 90k FSH. £2,100!

Id have the Lupo though dude, ive driven a saxo VTR and i must say the torque this diesel produces as STD is enough to put a little smile on your face let alone remapped.

Hope all goes well! :)

Looks, like ill go have a look at it! what would be the things i would prefer to have already been replaced? cam belt and clutch preferably? anything else i should check along side consistent services?