Rear adjusters in or out?

bulldog

Got the new wheels on but can`t make my mind up wether to remove the rear adjusters or not. The thing is i don`t really fancy adjusting the front as they look a bit corroded and look like they would be a nightmare to move and im quite happy with the front i think.lol. The car at the moment looks a little nose down but if i took out the adjusters don`t know if it would then make it look a*s* down. Just want to get the stance as best i can then i can move on to other things. I have also thought about spacers to bring the rear out a bit but not sure what to do first. When you look at the pics you can see the gap on the rear does look a little more than the front. It would also mean me doing it myself and ive never done it before but would be happy to give it a go. Just thought a little advice from you guys would help me out because you`s have got a lot more experiance of this than me.

Thanks baz (pics below)

2010_1103_152347.jpg

2010_1103_152358.jpg

2010_1103_152324.jpg

2010_1103_152301.jpg

Edited by bulldog

I recently took my Adjusters out, of my cheapo PhilJ special TA Technix, lowered it maybe 10 or so mm. Wasnt as spectacular as I had expected after the hype about removing them lol.

But maybe different on each coilover setup and make as I had the rears in for 2 years, so maybe its going to take alot longer for the rears to come down.

Had to lower my front more as Saxo Rake isnt cool! Doesnt look as if you would rub too much?

PS. Just incase you havent done it before, its really, really easy. I did it with a mate, and I am someone who knows nothing about mechanics or... getting dirty.

Edited by DarkStryder360

I recently took my Adjusters out, of my cheapo PhilJ special TA Technix, lowered it maybe 10 or so mm. Wasnt as spectacular as I had expected after the hype about removing them lol.

But maybe different on each coilover setup and make as I had the rears in for 2 years, so maybe its going to take alot longer for the rears to come down.

Had to lower my front more as Saxo Rake isnt cool! Doesnt look as if you would rub too much?

PS. Just incase you havent done it before, its really, really easy. I did it with a mate, and I am someone who knows nothing about mechanics or... getting dirty.

How did you do yours mate. Did you just take the bolt out of the dampers to get the springs out?

Yeah, you unbolt the bottom of the dampers and the beam will drop down. Then lift the springs out and unscrew the adjuster rings. If you want a bit more you can take of the bases too, but I'd prefer to leave them in, as they don't add much to the height, and make the spring more secure.

I would say leave them in though, I think it'll be too ars* down if you removed them.

Yeah, you unbolt the bottom of the dampers and the beam will drop down. Then lift the springs out and unscrew the adjuster rings. If you want a bit more you can take of the bases too, but I'd prefer to leave them in, as they don't add much to the height, and make the spring more secure.

I would say leave them in though, I think it'll be too ars* down if you removed them.

Thanks mate do you think i would have to adjust the front to make it look right if i took them out?

i dont even need to unbolt anything! just get a spanner in between a couple of coils and leaver it out! :P

then when you want to get them back in, just tap them with a mallet :P

Edit: i dont have the platforms for the adjusters in anymore, so completely pointless post! sorry! :lol:

Edited by Little Green Giant

take em out and ,let it settle and see what it looks like

if you think it looks wrong whack em back in

personally think it will look the dogs :wub:

plus once its lowered dont think you will need spacers

Jack up car , take off wheels , loosen the bottom bolt on the shocker on each side, axle will drop, remove springs , unscrew adjuster , put springs back on , lift axle back up making sure the springs seat on the nipple like objects, put the bolts back in and tighten , wheels back on , drop to floor , tighten wheel bolts back up , drive.

Do you have to have it on axel stands to do it or can you just get away with it on a trolly jack abviosly with something underneath incase it slipped. And do you need to take the wheels of or can you just do it from the back with the wheels left on?

Have a go , work it all out , i did thats how i know.

Ive wrote a simple 10 second guide to work from , its really not that complicated tbh.

Well tried to get the adjusters out tonight and could`nt get the bolts in the bottom of the shock loose for s**t. They are seized solid try`ed wd40 and everything else i could think of but they are going nowhere. So going to lend some spring compressers of a mate tommorow and hopefully i will be able to jack up the car and compress the spring enough to just lift it out over the baseplates (as the spring is pretty loose anyhow) then remove the adjusters. I hope anyhow.lol. Anyone tryed this method out?

Then what happens if your shocker fails at any time, your still in the same bolt , do it properly and get the bolts loose then put in some new ones.