ICE Upgrade- Part2

Hello again chaps,

Right, ive decided on the becker Mexico pro headunit.. now its time for speakers..

Ive seen these recommended on here and other places and they are in my price range so I might as well go for them:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/focal-access-165-a1.html?cPath=285

So many people say you should run an amp on these, but why? I really do not want to get an amp due to the extra expense (which I will spend on souind deadening) and the faff of wiring up to the battery.

I am running this off a good HU to start with so hopefully that lessens the need for an amp?

Regarding fitting; I assume the tweeters just replace the standard ones in the standard positions, are they easy to mount/fit?

Regarding the doors, can these be monuted behind the standard speaker grills.

I am looking at mounting options, everyone seems to say the mdf rings are better than platic..

Is this the kind of thing I want..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250704804809&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks for the advice so far. :)

Edited by DanGB

Yes those focals are pretty good, but they do really need a amp. Otherwise your loosing so much detail, when u think a half decent amp gives out 80wrms and a headunit maybe 20rms Max.

The tweeters can be mounted in the stock locations,

With the mid just drill the rivits that attach the old mids in, then mount the mids and the mdf rings to the door.

Thanks LooP,

The becker gives out 18 watts per channel. Even if im not really gonna have the speakers too loud, im still not quite sure the advantages of an amp?

If Im not going for an amp, would you recommend some different speakers?

Thanks.

NO tbh their the best speakers you could have if you didnt want to amp them.

You'll find if you amp them you'll have a better depth of stage an more detail.

But if your not a audio freek like some :blush: running of the headunit will be just fine.

best bet would be to sound deaden an seal up all the holes in the doors.

Look at my readers ride an that will show how to seal the lower door

• 2 weeks later...

So what would these upgraded speakers actually give me? I was doing some tests at high volume with my new headunit on the standard speakers and they actually sounded pretty good I thought...

They will give you more everything.

Think you need to have a go in a car with a propper sound quality stereo, think you will realise how poo the standard units are. And how much of the sound you arnt able to hear with the std stuff.

P.S make sure its a aftermarket audio system, avoid listening to a factory fitted systems. Like the audi bose stuff, they are usually worse than the standard setups.

If it was me, i would definitely run those Focals amped up. They simply arent gonna sound brilliant off head unit power (15-20rms). A good 80-100 watts of clean power is what they really need.

However, what you will gain is a lifted sound stage, which can be obtained through well planned tweeter location.

Expect these components to distort before the standard speakers, as you are gonna start clipping them at an early stage off the head unit.

Although, run them off an amp and they yours ears will tell you to turn the volume down way before the speakers do! ;)

Edited by Cooper_GTI