How do you wire a sub up?

Just got a 10" sub, amp and wires from a mate pretty cheap but I am an idiot when it comes to "ICE", so I have nooo idea how to install it!

Would be much appreciated, and pretty sure would be to others if someone wrote a "How to" section on how to fit a sub. Either that or just explained the simples i.e where the earthing point and what not!

Cheers all!

Edited by JamesTdi

hiya matey, im sure someone else will be along to give a more detailed explanation, but the basics are the RCA cables and the remote cable(blue) should be run down one side of the car and the power cable should be run down the other side of the car, to avoid interferance. on the earthing side, it must be attached to a bare metal surface, eg a screw in the chassis under the carpet, undo the screw, pop the cable end under it and screw back down firmly.

the power cable should have a fuse on it as well, and this can be fed under the passengers front footwell behind the soundproofing/underfelt of the car just below the glove i think.

if ive made any mistakes please excuse me people :)

Pretty much spot on with the explanation, however...

The remote wire should be run along with the positive power cable as it carries a current to tell the amplifier to turn on.

It's rare for this to cause interference but not impossible if using poor quality RCA cables.

not sure on the lupo as its my other halfs car, she wont let me do anything to it.... yet lol! i think the lupos have a positive cable cover/tidy on top of the battery, i'd imagine you would connect the power cable to one of the spare 'slots' in there, i think we have at least 2 or 3 spare in ours, please correct me if im wrong anyone, i havent wired up a sound system in a gd few years

I'm trying to do the same! Only problem is I can't find anywhere to run the power cable :confused:

I can get into the scuttle engine bay side, or should I be going lower through somewhere else? :blink:

Many thanks in advance

:)

I can get into the scuttle engine bay side, or should I be going lower through somewhere else? :blink:

lower i think, probably not a good idea to break a seal in the scuttle bay, it has a habit of filling with water...

Trick i've heard used is use your dipstick (cleaned ofc) to help push your cable through one of the other grommet entry points.

FML, the remote wire fell out from behide my stereo today and I don't know where it goes (a mate put it in for me) and I cant get hold of my mate. Anyone care to enlighten me where it should go?

Have you checked your earths?

Do you still have power going to the termination on the permanent live cabling or is there no power going that far?

If you don't have power going to the cabling then you have either lost your remote wire again or you have a problem with the permanent live.

If you have power going to the cabling but the amp won't work you might have a blown amp.

Got it all working ace, and now the sub has no power going to it!

Both fuses are fine, but still no power..

I had this same problem when i tried to wire up the sub in my lupo, there are a few things to check; have you ground/earthed it? is the power cable got a good connection to the battery? is the blue remote cable wired correctly? I will admit its a bit of an arduous process but eventually the little green light will come on and it should work, if you have no luck with the checks just let me know and i will try and give you a solution :)

Hi sorry, i know this may seem a little off topic.

i'm trying to wire a sub up, and i'm having difficulty getting the power cable through to the underside of the vehicle (passengers side)

any help/techniques would be greatly appreciated!

many thanks

• 1 year later...

Can anyone upload/pm me pictures if where the power cable goes through the engine bay and where the gromits are? Thanks!

• 1 year later...