Sky Offers

Putney

I have a few Sky offers left, if anyone is interested. Like I have always said there is no finacial gain for me I jus give my spare ones away to friends.

This is for new customers only.

Saving up to £516.

The offer includes:

Free Sky+HD box

Half price Sky TV for a year (save up to £306)

Free Sky HD Pack for a year (save £120)

Free standard set-up (save £30)

Half price Sky Multiroom for a year (save £60)

PLUS they could save even more if they take our Sky Broadband, Talk and Line Rental services.

Putney, am I right in assuming you work for sky? (if thats not too stupid a question!)

Me and the lady had sky installed at our bungalow about two/three weeks ago and when the guy was there I asked him if the cable could be run through the loft and down through the ceiling as we are haing a wall mounted tv and he was mounting the dish on the chimeny and there is already a hole in the wall into the loft that is left from the overflow pipe when we had the boiler done that is perfect for routing the cable through...

So he said to me no, I'm going to run the cable down the roof line and then along with the gutter at the front of the house then down the wall and in through the front wall and I'll leave you enough cable to run to the tv...

So now I have a dish on the chimeny with a cable just laying on the roof which then is laying in the gutter across the front of the house, then down the wall and through a hole he drilled in the front wall and this gives me a pain in the arse job to route it to the tv when I do it (tv is sitting on the floor at the moment)

My question is.... am I able to get them to come back to re route it how I want now that I am unhappy with it (seemed ok at the time) or is it up to me to do/get done? It was fitted for free under an offer that is/was on.

Cheers dude, just wondering so I know if it is feasable before I call them and they try to charge me or say no!

Edited by stealthie

Hello Mate,

Yes I work for sky however I have nothing to do with installs.... Im a technical bod in broadcast.... so i don't know more than you im afraid... Personally if you are not happy... like with anything... best thing to do is give them a call...?

I know this might sound stupid but I can think of quite a few reasons why a sky engineer wouldn't be allowed in a loft for health and safety reasons... but hey what do i know... Personally i would give them a call or get a sparky to do it... My install was rather simple compared to yours... just a hole in the wall to the tv...

My friend who is a sparky moved my parents cables it took no time at all....

Edited by Putney

Hi,

Bit of topic but wondered if you could help, Currently with AOL boradband but for the last 2 months it has been going on and off as it likes, I want to cancel but there is months left on the contract can I cancel it? When I phone them they just pass me on to techcical support which are no help at all, As its not working all the time surely they are not agreeing to the contract? Cheers.

Putney, am I right in assuming you work for sky? (if thats not too stupid a question!)

Me and the lady had sky installed at our bungalow about two/three weeks ago and when the guy was there I asked him if the cable could be run through the loft and down through the ceiling as we are haing a wall mounted tv and he was mounting the dish on the chimeny and there is already a hole in the wall into the loft that is left from the overflow pipe when we had the boiler done that is perfect for routing the cable through...

So he said to me no, I'm going to run the cable down the roof line and then along with the gutter at the front of the house then down the wall and in through the front wall and I'll leave you enough cable to run to the tv...

So now I have a dish on the chimeny with a cable just laying on the roof which then is laying in the gutter across the front of the house, then down the wall and through a hole he drilled in the front wall and this gives me a pain in the arse job to route it to the tv when I do it (tv is sitting on the floor at the moment)

My question is.... am I able to get them to come back to re route it how I want now that I am unhappy with it (seemed ok at the time) or is it up to me to do/get done? It was fitted for free under an offer that is/was on.

Cheers dude, just wondering so I know if it is feasable before I call them and they try to charge me or say no!

If you'd said to him you'll run the cable from where he puts it into the loft down to your hole in the wall for the TV he should have done it, they aren't allowed to go into any loft in any house mainly in case they fall through the ceiling and you bill sky for a size 11 shoe hole in your roof!

My parents have had the same issue with sky going into loft spaces a few times, they don't mind if you do it yourself but they can't guarantee your cable on their warranty as their engineer didn't run it in.

You could of course just rip out the cable he's run, hire yourself a drill and do it yourself through the loft and down the wall. Shouldn't take more than a few hours if you know what you're doing.

Hello Mate,

Yes I work for sky however I have nothing to do with installs.... Im a technical bod in broadcast.... so i don't know more than you im afraid... Personally if you are not happy... like with anything... best thing to do is give them a call...?

I know this might sound stupid but I can think of quite a few reasons why a sky engineer wouldn't be allowed in a loft for health and safety reasons... but hey what do i know... Personally i would give them a call or get a sparky to do it... My install was rather simple compared to yours... just a hole in the wall to the tv...

My friend who is a sparky moved my parents cables it took no time at all....

If you'd said to him you'll run the cable from where he puts it into the loft down to your hole in the wall for the TV he should have done it, they aren't allowed to go into any loft in any house mainly in case they fall through the ceiling and you bill sky for a size 11 shoe hole in your roof!

My parents have had the same issue with sky going into loft spaces a few times, they don't mind if you do it yourself but they can't guarantee your cable on their warranty as their engineer didn't run it in.

You could of course just rip out the cable he's run, hire yourself a drill and do it yourself through the loft and down the wall. Shouldn't take more than a few hours if you know what you're doing.

Cheers guys, I reckon I'll be running it myself then... or getting someone with a long ladder to do it as I don't have one :(

It will be simple to run and because of the way he has run it I'll have shed loads of spare cable I reckon, I'm easily up to doing it myself and would rather do it myself so that I know it's how I want it..... just need to find a ladder!

Oh and sorry Putney, I seem to have opened a 'ask Putney questions abouth the problems with my sky thread'...... :lol:

Hi,

Bit of topic but wondered if you could help, Currently with AOL boradband but for the last 2 months it has been going on and off as it likes, I want to cancel but there is months left on the contract can I cancel it? When I phone them they just pass me on to techcical support which are no help at all, As its not working all the time surely they are not agreeing to the contract? Cheers.

He works for Sky... Not AOL.

You should really contact AOL and speak to their customer service department or cancellations department if you want to cancel, not someone who works for Sky in the broadcast department! :)

AOL.... Personally I give everyone a chance to fix it. Things don't always go to plan first time. If you feel like they are not doing enough to fix things or it doesn't get fixed then I would call the cancelations department. It's your money they are taking at the end of the day. From my experience with broadband problems is more than likely a problem with your line quality or a problem at the exchange. So cancelling and going with someone else might not resolve this.

Sky do care about existing customers however they are a business at the end of the day. They are there to provide as good as service as possible and MAKE money.

You've obviously never had to ring the customer services with an issue?

Sky Decided that I had cancelled my Call package and Land Line rental... When I rang up the arrogant pr*ck told me they were going to cut my internet off because I've admitted to not paying for any Line Rental (which I thought I was paying) - Then cut me off - Presumably because it was easier than dealing with my issue.

I'm now stuck without a Land Line for 2-3 weeks whilst they 'Reconnect me' under a different number and wanted to charge me for it!

I went through 7 people (and a small fortune in mobile phone calls) before finally getting someone who would agree to ring me back and actually deal with the problem!

I've had no problems with the TV side of it, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone for Phone/Internet services.

You've obviously never had to ring the customer services with an issue?

Sky Decided that I had cancelled my Call package and Land Line rental... When I rang up the arrogant pr*ck told me they were going to cut my internet off because I've admitted to not paying for any Line Rental (which I thought I was paying) - Then cut me off - Presumably because it was easier than dealing with my issue.

I'm now stuck without a Land Line for 2-3 weeks whilst they 'Reconnect me' under a different number and wanted to charge me for it!

I went through 7 people (and a small fortune in mobile phone calls) before finally getting someone who would agree to ring me back and actually deal with the problem!

I've had no problems with the TV side of it, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone for Phone/Internet services.

tv wise... my box needs a reset about once a month. I also pull the plug out of the one in the room because sometimes the hard drive spins up in the middle of the night which wakes me up.

I can't comment on your case as i don't know the ins and outs... but that sounds really bad, you have ever right to be annoyed... What have they said they are going to do to rectify this?

I have my line rental with BT, I can't be arsed to change it over to Sky... I know its slightly cheaper but the saving isn't worth any hassle which comes with it.

My internet is through sky and its been fault less... I also have Sky Talk but to be honest, i never ring anyone from the house phone i use my free minutes and i have no idea if thats any good...

the internet must be popular in my block of flats as there are 8 other wifii sky accounts I can see....

i don't know if its free to call or not..

I have called customer services quite a few times and never had a problem with the person on the end... I had a fault on my telephone line, which once it was fixed I got a massive sky bill for box office stuff... Apparently my box couldn't connect properly to the line. All my box office stuff was free for almost a year before i got a large bill.... once my box finally manage to talk to big brother and tell them the amount of films i had watched... i thought i was getting away with it.. lol

I think the package above is around £38.50 a month for the full package... but there are different packages you can be on so the price can change... my friend just got it installed. from phone call to install was less than a week.. however it does depend on how busy your area is. mine took a couple of weeks but that was a few years ago.

Edited by Putney

He works for Sky... Not AOL.

You should really contact AOL and speak to their customer service department or cancellations department if you want to cancel, not someone who works for Sky in the broadcast department! :)

I know he works for Sky I was just asking to see if he have had problems like this in sky and wanted to know if I was in my rights to cancel it with a contract remaining as the internet keeps going on and of, As on my post I have contacted the customer services, cancellations and technical support, But all they do is put me on to some tech guy and goes through the basics then says phone back in 24-48 hours if its not fixed just going around in circles.

AOL.... Personally I give everyone a chance to fix it. Things don't always go to plan first time. If you feel like they are not doing enough to fix things or it doesn't get fixed then I would call the cancelations department. It's your money they are taking at the end of the day. From my experience with broadband problems is more than likely a problem with your line quality or a problem at the exchange. So cancelling and going with someone else might not resolve this.

Ok thanks will give the cancellations department a call again and say I want someone sent to my house to check the line etc and if nothing is resolved I want it cancelled.

The latest news is:

Since re-ordering the Sky Talk and Line rental, another total and utter retard at sky customer services has decided it'd be a bit of a laugh to Cancel my Broadband which I've only had up and running for 2-3 weeks.

ffs.jpg

Currently sat on hold to the Sky Customer service team listening to the most painful hold music known to man - I'm sure by the end of the phone call I will have suffered from acoustic shock...

I'm pretty much decided this time that if they do not resolve the whole thing by the end of the week, then I will be leaving sky for everything except the TV package as their 'non TV' department don't seem to be capeable of setting up the simplest of orders at all.

I am now being told that once my phone line is installed, I will be without broadband for upto 15 days. Being a first time home owner, I'm relying heavily on online banking as I have various direct debits coming out on completely random dates and of completely random amounts, so I need to keep a close watch on these to 'educate' me on what my future outgoings are going to be.

Without access to the internet, I'm not really going to have any way of seeing what's what until then. Restrictions on the internet at work means I cant even check up on stuff from work.

How the hell can something so simple turn into such a complete and utter balls up? People said moving into my new house would be stressful... The only stress so far has been caused by sky talk/broadband customer services. :(

Really not happy.

* Update *

Spoke to ANOTHER customer service representative after being cut off AGAIN, who now says my broadband will have to be re-ordered once I have my Land Line activated and the broadband will take 8 days to activate after it has been ordered. Someone somewhere is telling different departments different things...

Edited by nfbr